What were the ford engineers thinking with this cabin air filter location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debating on the aftermarket Infinity Overland cabin filter for my Gen 1. Talk about install issues. It appears to be decently involved to install this guy.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Debating on the aftermarket Infinity Overland cabin filter for my Gen 1. Talk about install issues. It appears to be decently involved to install this guy.
I wouldn't install a filter if it didn't come with one, just burn out the fan trying to push air through a filter. These fans and housings were designed to push a certain cfm, you alter it and will cause more issues than its worth.

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't install a filter if it didn't come with one, just burn out the fan trying to push air through a filter. These fans and housings were designed to push a certain cfm, you alter it and will cause more issues than its worth.
Good call. Not only would the $200 for kit and extra filter be pricey but the tear down to replace the existing fan would be a kick in the face. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that this kit really took off either. I'm an amazon review reliable kind of ***** these days.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good call. Not only would the $200 for kit and extra filter be pricey but the tear down to replace the existing fan would be a kick in the face. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that this kit really took off either. I'm an amazon review reliable kind of ***** these days.
For $200, you could buy a lot of cinnamon doche lattes (whatever they are called) that would give you a better smell in the cabin. Ha ha. One day you can pull your fan assy out and just wash the blower wheel gently to get the build up of dirt off of it. I will repeat , gently wash it or blow out with compressed air.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I changed mine....I thought no way they were able to get a filter in there, since I was holding a new one in my hand. Then I read all that had to be removed. Couldn't they have just made the glove box drop down and slide a new one in. It was like locating the upfitter wiring the first time under the hood. It's like they went out of their way to hide it under another electrical plug.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love my truck but another thing I loved about Toyota. Drop glove box door, there is the cabin filter door. Kinda like the oil filter being on top of engine with intergrted oil drip tray... with nipple for a drain hose already on it as if they knew where it was going to make a mess.

rcseorgia

Reaction score
This is exactly why my replacement filter has sat my bench for the last 6 months.
I used a wide sheet rock mud spatula (can't think of the right name) that is 4 inches wide. I avoided cracking it. On the back I cut off two of prongs that secure it so I wouldn't crack it next time. Fits back fine with no movement or rattle.