What truck would you consider selling your Raptor for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is nothing out there better than a Gen1 at this point period. But there could be if Ford just put the Gen1 6.2L V8 in a Gen3 keep the price reasonable and call it a day. That is the dream if you ask me. The Raptor R will be so insane and expensive and over the top no reasonable people will be able to afford it. The R basically will be wasteful overkill for most ppl driving it around Starbucks and such. I don’t need an insane V8 in the R that is a Ram killer when the cost is super car expensive and I can never afford one. The Gen1 motor in a Gen3 body would keep the cost way down, give good fuel economy, and be very reliable. It would please a huge number of people not in the new raptors due to a weak V6 on a juiced trombone to hide the truth of what it actual is. Like it’s so obvious at this point it’s insane to me. Make a trophy truck of rare Raptor R’s to say you bested the T-rx and let them be $200k. But also just start offering the 6.2L V8 as a regular engine option along with the 3.5L V6. Hell, the V8 would arguably be even cheaper than the Eco V6. Just let the customer choose what they want and more ppl would come back to the raptor IMHO.
It would make absolutely zero sense to offer an outdated work/fleet engine that has much less power and torque and weighs significantly more than the 3.5. Not to mention poor fuel economy that would pull down CAFE numbers. The 3.5 is anything but weak, it outperforms the 6.2 in every way.

A 6.2 in a new Raptor would be dog slow compared to the 3.5 while getting the fuel economy of the TRX. Worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2018-2020 TRD Pro Tundra. My brother has had his for 80,000 miles and hasn’t has a single problem besides replacing a serpentine belt, that’s it.

I hope it doesn’t consume anywhere near the oil of the Sequoia my wife drives. It’s to the point where if someone wasn’t frequently checking it, it would be nearly completely oil starved within 5000 miles.

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised that some won’t acknowledge that the 3.5 TT is superior to the 6.2 in every way except the exhaust note. It was designed from the factory with forced induction in mind. Go to YouTube and search Ecoboost durability testing. It may change some minds.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Yeah I never said any of that, I said give ppl the choice to choose what they want. From a business perspective why would you leave customers out in the cold ? The 3.5 can be a great engine, but there are a decent amount of folks that still won’t buy it is all I am saying. So what’s the harm of having 2 options? If the 6.2 is old and outdated then give another more updated option.

The feds pushing the CAFE standards are a sad thing honestly. Another example of the government not understanding where Tech and innovation come from.

@FordTechOne , I mean hard to say with me not knowing what Ford is thinking on a Raptor R. Do you think they even make an R at this point or is that just a dream? A more accurate comparison to me is the TRX against the Raptor R not the 3.5. And with the veil of darkness over the R, it’s all speculation.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I never said any of that, I said give ppl the choice to choose what they want. From a business perspective why would you leave customers out in the cold ? The 3.5 can be a great engine, but there are a decent amount of folks that still won’t buy it is all I am saying. So what’s the harm of having 2 options? If the 6.2 is old and outdated then give another more updated option.

The feds pushing the CAFE standards are a sad thing honestly. Another example of the government not understanding where Tech and innovation come from.

@FordTechOne , I mean hard to say with me not knowing what Ford is thinking on a Raptor R. Do you think they even make an R at this point or is that just a dream? A more accurate comparison to me is the TRX against the Raptor R not the 3.5. And with the veil of darkness over the R, it’s all speculation.
I haven’t seen anything come through for ordering an R. So probably late ‘22 or early ‘23. But who’s to say they don’t axe the entire project with Ram’s announcement that they’re discontinuing the 6.2 S/C? Hopefully that’s not the case, but as you mentioned CAFE is always an issue.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m surprised that some won’t acknowledge that the 3.5 TT is superior to the 6.2 in every way except the exhaust note. It was designed from the factory with forced induction in mind. Go to YouTube and search Ecoboost durability testing. It may change some minds.
The 3.5 is superior but some of us can't let go of the rumble of a v8, it doesn't mean we don't like the 3.5 or think it's a pos either. Ford did a great job with the sound and looks of the Gen 3 and if I didn't already have a Raptor, would probably get into one. I will drive my v8 until the EV raptor comes out now though, it won't be long before that happens.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
I haven’t seen anything come through for ordering an R. So probably late ‘22 or early ‘23. But who’s to say they don’t axe the entire project with Ram’s announcement that they’re discontinuing the 6.2 S/C? Hopefully that’s not the case, but as you mentioned CAFE is always an issue.

I hope they don’t cancel the R, but I think it’s more likely than not at this point, which really sucks. Arguably the 3.5 is the biggest engine the raptor may ever have again. By the time the 3.5 has its lifecycle it will be onto EV via big brother mandate. Whether the tech is ready or not they will come nonetheless.