What to Look for When Scoping Out Used Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cknick00

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the site and Raptors / Off-Roading in general. I am in the market to purchase a Used Raptor but need some help as to what to look for so I don't end up with a truck that is going to give me problems in the future from something I didn't cause. I know obvious signs: body rust, structural damage, dents, etc. But what about to be able to tell if it was really taken off-road and beat. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Body rust will be extremely rare. The trucks come with a lifetime warranty on rust.
Biggest thing is check the frame for bends. The space between the cab and bed should be the same distance from top to bottom. Look at the bump stop and make sure it sits perfectly flat.
Drive it and listen/feel for the "clunk" that a lot of the trucks had. while driving, come to a complete stop, then when you go again you will feel the driveshaft move, and you can hear it clunk to the back. That will be a warranty fix.

This is my bump stop. Bent/tweaked pretty bad.
324620_10151178376205914_939396861_o.jpg

Last edited:

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look for blown shocks. Look at the front skid plate to see if it has signs of being bashed in then pushed Back out. Check the front axle. tie-rod rubber-boots for damage.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
And measure the box clearance to the cab from top to bottom. It should be equal both sides. If it's larger in one dimension, chances are the trucks been driven pretty hard.

raptrcrzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^those holes in the frame in the picture above are for if the vehicle was in an accident and the frame was bent, it will go to the frame guy to use hooks in those holes to restraighten the frame, then bolt everything back together, so if those holes look torqued in any way you can probably bet it was in a bad accident.

Also, check out the engine, if it looks oddly "shiney" from washing and pouring tons of cleaner on it...it might have some sort of leak or was off roaded really hard and theyre trying to cover up something.

Also, check bolts on the fenders/hood and anywhere that the body bolts would be painted. if they have chipped paint/paint around it is wrinkled..etc it may have had some damage and needed to be replaced/fixed, if not, then most likely it hasnt been wrecked.

Look at all the panels on the truck, all body lines should line up with each other, doors/tailgate/hood should all open without trouble..

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Carfax...haha

Seriously...pull an oil analysis and ask for all the back up for any and all work done

Sent from iPad 3 using Tapatalk

Swagger4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the front shock mounts on the top, I've seen those break and cause the shock to sit at angle and bend the shock slightly.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont forget the tires and rims. make sure the rims arent bent and there is still some decent tread left. the last thing you want to do is buy a new set of tires right away.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for small rock damage underneath the truck... Shock guards chipped or pieces broke off, skid plates scratches/dings,