What to look for when buying a used Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khilborn

Reaction score
I have a thread about the Raptor I am looking in to buying and it is used so I thought it would be a great idea to compile a good checklist on what to look out for. This is a work in progress so if you can think of something that is not on here, please reply and I will add to the list.

Inspection:
- All lights (fog, brake, blinkers, reverse, etc)
- All Gauges
- Power windows
- Power Seats
- Under carriage
-- Bashed in skid plates and or scrapes
- Transmission shifting while driving (Should be smooth?)
- Alignment
- Leaks
-- Shocks
-- Axles
-- Motor, upper and lower
- Gap between bed and cab (should be even)
- Gaps between the tailgate and bedsides
- Check 4 wheel drive. Make sure it engages
- Tire life
- All speakers working.
- Power steering pump, lines for leaks
- tie rods for tightness
- Steering linkage tight
- Rear shock mounts for cracks
- Rear leaf springs for cracks / missing parts
- Check behind the rubber door seals for rust / corrosion
- Wiring. Check the pass through wires for condition. Look under the panels for weird wiring.
- Fuse box for obvious damage
- Seat operation. Heater and cooler working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Khilborn

Reaction score

I did a search, I thought it would be great to have a thread, maybe sticky, with an itemized list people could you without browsing pages of text. Maybe a google doc with check boxes. I used one when I got mine last weekend. I spent almost 2 hours looking over the truck after a 45 minutes test drive.

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did a search, I thought it would be great to have a thread, maybe sticky, with an itemized list people could you without browsing pages of text. Maybe a google doc with check boxes. I used one when I got mine last weekend. I spent almost 2 hours looking over the truck after a 45 minutes test drive.

Agreed...that's why I shared those links. Would be great to extrapolate all the useful information from each thread and compile it all into one. Perhaps even a sticky, as you mentioned.

And I don't blame you for spending all that time looking over the truck. When you're dropping the amount of money that these things go for, you want to go over it with a fine tooth comb!