What to do for Windshield Crack/Chip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Wolf

Reaction score
Probably a silly question, but I've simply never had this issue before on a car I cared enough about to do anything about it.

My Gen2 took a small rock to the windshield this morning, right in my field of view. It left a small "hole" about the size of the head of a pencil eraser that goes about 2/3 way through the glass but not all the way through to the inside. There is a "star" of tiny cracks around it, each about a half inch long.

The rock didn't even hit that hard but its been so cold here lately in Chicago that probably made the impact worse.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill but my Raptor is...well...you know...its my Raptor! and I don't want the damage to spread or get worse.

What would you do? I don't know how to fix it myself, nor would I trust myself to fix it and not mess it up. Would you call that "Safelite" place they advertise on TV? Can they repair something tiny like that and make it look *almost* like new? Would you call some place else? What would you recommend?

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many insurances will cover the "repair" with zero deductible. I'd check with yours to see if they do. The repair just seals the cracks so it won't spread. It is still just as noticeable. If it is in your field of view I would replace the entire windshield.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the $10 self repair kits from the auto parts store.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the $10 self repair kits from the auto parts store.

This ^^^^ is so true. The repair kits work great. I’ve used them in various forms for decades. I jus fixed a similar chip in my 2018 windshield. If you (or a glass repair company) do it correctly it will be practically invisible. The newer kits from RainX include good directions and everything you need to make even quarter sized holes go away IF the cracks do not penetrate completely through the outer layer of glass.

The reason you can see the crack is the two inside surfaces of the crack reflect light differently, so they’re quite visible.
If done correctly the resin is forced into the crack(s) which effectively reconnects the surfaces and they disappear.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a small bullseye and had it filled. Im not changing the windshield then dealing with leaking seals and shit

truckarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on checking your insurance company policy. Somes offers $0 deductible replacement.

dave_g

Reaction score
Having a pro fix the windshield is about $35.00 bucks, I have a small fleet of vans for work, and have a guy come in every 10-20 weeks to check them and fix what he finds.. Also till you get it fixed- you may want to put some clear tape on it to keep water out.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had mine repaired today. Zero deductible. Took the hit just inside the Ford Logo above the mirror driver side. The star was just a bit larger than a quarter. A quarter seems to be the universal measure used to determine whether or not to replace the shield. My insurance company and the glass shop seemed to agree on that. The repairman said it might not pass inspection.

I was preparing myself for a windshield replacement.
Some of the crack is still visible outside looking in.
There will be a $400 repair in my future if it grows.