What ting comes standard on gen3 raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ra2911

Reaction score
Hi all

I was looking to get some tint on my Gen3 raptor. In particular I wanted to use the ceramic stuff in order to block out the heat (based in TX). The ford tint guy told me the following:

- there is already tint on the sunroof that blocks a lot of the heat (this was news to me
- the tint on the back windows and back glass panel is “very good” and is not just “cloudy glass” and actually blocks a lot of heat.

Based on that we discussed adding some ceramic tint on the front two windows (matching the shade of the back two) as well as a clear ceramic coat on the front windshield.

Any thoughts on this? Does any one know what actual tint and effectiveness is applied at the factory?

Thanks!

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was looking to get some tint on my Gen3 raptor. In particular I wanted to use the ceramic stuff in order to block out the heat (based in TX). The ford tint guy told me the following:

- there is already tint on the sunroof that blocks a lot of the heat (this was news to me
- the tint on the back windows and back glass panel is “very good” and is not just “cloudy glass” and actually blocks a lot of heat.

Based on that we discussed adding some ceramic tint on the front two windows (matching the shade of the back two) as well as a clear ceramic coat on the front windshield.

Any thoughts on this? Does any one know what actual tint and effectiveness is applied at the factory?

Thanks!
I don't know if it's actually tint film but a lot of Ford vehicles have darkened glass and I think it's decent since I live in TX too.

LennyMoe

Reaction score
Hi all

Thanks!
AZ owner here - do yourself a favor and do ceramic all around. Find a quality installer in your area, and ask him to match to the factory darkness. The factory "tint" isn't actually tint and has no IR or UV protection AFAIK. My guy put one layer of ceramic on the back and doubled on the front (to match the rear) to achieve about 15% all around. Clear ceramic on the windshield (still blocks IR and UV but isn't dangerous AF).

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tinted the moonroof with a ceramic tint. Even in February, it would get warm in the truck with the shade open. I still close the shade in the middle of the day in the summer (did the same on my 2018). There was a big improvement after the ceramic was installed.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the factory tint is baked into the glass. it isnt something that can be installed. the oem glass is a privacy glass. does not have heat rejection properties. has uv protection properties because it has to. 3m makes a film called crystalline. it is probably the best film to use to add to the truck. not all 3m dealers carry the crystalline line since it takes specific training with the film application, and if you dont complete it, you cant carry the line. its pretty expensive though but with its 200layers of material in that paper thin film, it does fantastic for heat rejection. generally auto manufacturers put approx a 20% shade in the back and a 70% shade on the front.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In hot states like AZ, is dark tint legal? It’s not here in the NE.

savela

Reaction score
I have had good ting and awesome ting. The good tint (guessing the factory stuff is below average with respect to IR and UV reflection). When I didn't install the ceramic stuff, my car felt like an oven. I could feel the heat on my arms etc - awful. I have since used top of the line stuff. Wincos and now XPEL. I would say the rear windows are 30 percent from the factory. Pay the extra for the windshield and the moonroof - you won't be sorry.

Attached is 70% film added to the windshield, 30% film added to the front 2 windows and moonroof and 70% film added to all rear windows. If you take the factory tint into account, I would say the rear combined is in the 20-30% range. Hope this helps.

the 2nd pic is BEFORE tint was applied. Last pic is interior after tint. Not terribly dark and easy to see at night.

Attachments

• IMG_6606.jpeg
    IMG_6606.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6596.jpeg
    IMG_6596.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6609.jpeg
    IMG_6609.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited: