What Throttle Body upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricco

Reaction score
What set up would work better, 12 Whipple , have the 60mm TB from Whipple, looking for a bit more juice, looking at cobra jet 65mm, or whip 69mm, if i go with 65, was told no retuning , not sure with 68, looking to hear likes with either set up, also running the 47 injectors , any help would be great

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the Whipple Twin 68mm TB, 60 Lbs. injectors.
This is all from the Stage II upgrade kit plus smaller supercharger pulley and the big heat exchanger with dual fans.
And upgraded Whipple Tune of course.

Note: I was and am running the 3.375 SC pulley

OP
OP
R

Ricco

Reaction score
Any issues with the 68 mm TB? Im happy with the set up its the team jdm 700 whip kit, i didnt upgrade tb when purchased , there tune is spot on, i heard a bigger TB will give me a bit more , im also running kooks long tube headers that really woke up my trk with supercharger, i contacted whip on there 68tb and tune .

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 68mm had some surging with the Gen 3 & 4 compressors due to the tighter tolerances with the compressor blades.
The Gen 3 & 4 compressors produces a little more boost and lower in the rpm range.
I believe they sorted that out.
We have the Gen 2, so we do not have this issue.
JDM isn't going to Tune for the 68mm TB.
Just buy the Twin 65mm, you'll get about another 15 maybe 20 RWHP.
And get the larger heat exchanger with fans, you will gain some HP.
Plus, it's kinda a must for summer months.

Doing a whole swap to Whipple's setup is going to be pricey!
Whipple doesn't run the 47 lbs. injectors any longer.

Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are questions you should ask whoever is going to tune your truck. Don’t throw parts on your vehicle only to be disappointed if you have issues and no tuner wants to mess with it since it isn’t a setup that they recommend or support. If you’re sticking with JDM, MTF is correct in that you should just go with the twin 65mm FRPP unit. That’s what I’m running with a Gen 4 Whipple, 3.25” pulley, and DeatschWerks 78lb injectors all purchased through and tuned by JDM.

If you’re interested in other options, you should speak with Whipple or Livernois. Regardless of power mods, a larger heat exchanger is always better. Helps you make consistent power by avoiding or otherwise quickly recovering from heat soak which robs power.

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to comment on the power/torque curve when running a larger TB on an otherwise stock motor. From the dyno graphs I saw, it takes away from the low end and adds to the top end. Wasn't going to work with my needs.
But... now that I see this is a Forced Induction conversation, I will see my way out LOL