GEN 2 What sensors to check/clean during oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are a couple catch can and misfire fix threads here, but some reference two TIP sensors, and other members mention three. For reference, our trucks have speed-density systems, so no true MAF sensor... Correct?

I haven’t pulled the intake system off to clean the throttle body yet, but I did check the two sensors on top of the engine that I could find; one in front of the throttle body, the other in the back of the intake manifold near the firewall. Also checked a third sensor that looked similar but smaller, but I’m not sure of its purpose. It’s off to the driver’s side on one of the plastic vent tubes (different configuration and size):

These locations:

i-G5ZHwZc-XL.png

All three were clean on mine... No real oil film and the gren “bulb” on the end of the wires inside the protective plastic frame/cage was easily discernable unlike pics of fouled sensors I’ve seen.

And I don’t want this thread to turn into an argument over what catch can system is best, but they’ve worked well on forced induction vehicles I’ve owned in the past so I’m ordering one as soon as I decide whether the primary option most folks here seem to use is worth more than twice what another simpler version costs.

Any pros/cons for one version or another without getting into urinary olympics?

Regardless, I’m a new EB owner so still learning this motor, but have two advanced engineering degrees as well as many years experience building and racing various classes of cars so I can follow most technical discussions.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips or tricks...

Theswits

Reaction score
Hey there,
Have you made any decisions on the catch can? I just ordered the JLT today, might not be the best, but beats nothing.

bp299

Reaction score
Subscribed as I just added a catch can at 20k miles and want to know what to clean or address since I didn't have one until now. Can you point me to those threads?