What raptor look do u like better? Gen 1 Gen 2 gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^^I think this says it the best. My buddy picked up a blue gen1 long ago and ever since that moment I knew I wanted a raptor. fast forward quite a few years I got into a gen2, which I love and we both admit is the "better" truck of the two. I have only seen the gen3 in passing on the streets, but I would guess that the same holds true, the gen3 is the "better" truck of the three.
Share with us what makes you say Gen2 is better! I’ve not owned a Gen1, unfortunately, but have owned Gen2 and 3.

Are you referring to off road ability? Blasting through dessert terrain? Comfort? User interface? Interested to hear what you base your conclusions on.

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
Unfortunately neither of us have had the chance to go blasting through the desert. But we have offroaded a bit on the east coast (camping, trails, beaches), overall comfort was a factor and looks (very subjective I know). Its hard to argue the tech in the gen2 not being superior (similarly hard to argue its not even better in the gen3). Likely the most unpopular opinion, the powertrain, while not a v8 you get more power, more torque, and better gas mileage. Sure its missing the proper rumble (hence agreeing with the soul comment), but turbo noises are fun in their own right. Additional benefit of the sewing machine with snails is increased tunability per dollar spent or rather not spent.

I think what I've found true across a bunch of different platforms I've owned (wrx, STI, corvette, type R - yes I was in an entire different driving segment before getting into the Raptor) is that the original will always take on some sort of GOAT status. Consecutive generations build on that and while there are often things you would prefer not change, rarely do they go backwards in terms of tech and capability.

Looks on the other hand, that is just a can worms - I think the gen2 is a nice shmedium of the 1 and 3 in terms of aesthetics. Ill be the first to say that I would likely err on the side of preferring the older models in most categories of vehicles, and I have a true appreciation of driving analog vehicles (that doesn't make them better though, maybe just more fun). If you think about it, the "first" model of vehicle you take interest in is what compels you to entertain the newer model. Sometimes newer models look better sometimes they look worse. You couldn't pay me to drive a new wrx, they are hideous and my love for my 2003 bugeye (also hideous to many) wouldn't allow me to enjoy the new one properly, its just plain ugly. That said, while I loved my C6 the new C8 looks amazing, but I didnt care for the C7. Fact of the matter is they both wipe the floor with my C6. Bottom line - looks are important but capability of the vehicle to do what its intended use for reigns supreme at least in my book. I dont love the current trend in vehicle aesthetics, way to space shippy - but capability is only increasing, and I would say most people on this forum and in the other classes of performance vehicles can identify with that thought process as being a positive trend.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately neither of us have had the chance to go blasting through the desert. But we have offroaded a bit on the east coast (camping, trails, beaches), overall comfort was a factor and looks (very subjective I know). Its hard to argue the tech in the gen2 not being superior (similarly hard to argue its not even better in the gen3). Likely the most unpopular opinion, the powertrain, while not a v8 you get more power, more torque, and better gas mileage. Sure its missing the proper rumble (hence agreeing with the soul comment), but turbo noises are fun in their own right. Additional benefit of the sewing machine with snails is increased tunability per dollar spent or rather not spent.

I think what I've found true across a bunch of different platforms I've owned (wrx, STI, corvette, type R - yes I was in an entire different driving segment before getting into the Raptor) is that the original will always take on some sort of GOAT status. Consecutive generations build on that and while there are often things you would prefer not change, rarely do they go backwards in terms of tech and capability.

Looks on the other hand, that is just a can worms - I think the gen2 is a nice shmedium of the 1 and 3 in terms of aesthetics. Ill be the first to say that I would likely err on the side of preferring the older models in most categories of vehicles, and I have a true appreciation of driving analog vehicles (that doesn't make them better though, maybe just more fun). If you think about it, the "first" model of vehicle you take interest in is what compels you to entertain the newer model. Sometimes newer models look better sometimes they look worse. You couldn't pay me to drive a new wrx, they are hideous and my love for my 2003 bugeye (also hideous to many) wouldn't allow me to enjoy the new one properly, its just plain ugly. That said, while I loved my C6 the new C8 looks amazing, but I didnt care for the C7. Fact of the matter is they both wipe the floor with my C6. Bottom line - looks are important but capability of the vehicle to do what its intended use for reigns supreme at least in my book. I dont love the current trend in vehicle aesthetics, way to space shippy - but capability is only increasing, and I would say most people on this forum and in the other classes of performance vehicles can identify with that thought process as being a positive trend.
Lol- I have a C5Z that’s exactly how I feel your C5.5 (sorry C6 lol) is part of the same basic design from the C4 era & they perfected it w/ the C6 ZR1, the C7 was a “stop-gap measure” while they nailed the C8 down. Sure….edgy sheet metal & fake stitched leather aside- toss a C7 up on a lift next to a C6 & C5….what do you see? Transverse leaf springs, double wishbone suspension all around w- aluminum a-arms/spindles (interchangeable between C5-C6 not sure bout C7) the sway bars, the aluminum subframes, the transaxle/torque tube, the placement of the manual trans etc etc etc - same sh*t, the C7 convinced me to finish “restomodding” my now 718whp C5Z.

The C8 tho? That was worth waiting for. Will own one, next vehicle purchase….but keeping my old school built C5Z

All that vette talk aside, if I haven’t already responded:

From a purely exterior aesthetic standpoint- the Gen2 is the best looking, the fenders front/rear are more chunky/exaggerated than either gen, the front end seems more menacing & shows more of the suspension off (esp in stock trim w/ the bumper holes) even the tailgate appliqué is more “in your face” w/ the “frowning” downturn @ either end of that huge ass emblem. A gen2 w/ some quality aftermarket stickers looks damn serious.

The gen3 is too reserved from a styling standpoint, but love the upgraded interior, the 37”s, & the most importantly, the coil over rear - but none of the gen3 advantages are exterior looks.

Gen2 > gen1 > gen3 from a purely “looks” perspective, I’m gonna guess the majority agrees

Perfect analogy? What makes the TRX blend into the crowd more than a gen2 Raptor is precisely what makes the Gen3 not stand out as well, it’s only a massaged/restrained take on the standard truck. I CANT tell the difference between a Rebel & a TRX from 1/8 of a mile away, same for a gen3 & a platinum F150, but I can tell a gen2 from any other F150 from a 1/4 mile+ away.

#truth

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
Lol- I have a C5Z that’s exactly how I feel your C5.5 (sorry C6 lol) is part of the same basic design from the C4 era & they perfected it w/ the C6 ZR1, the C7 was a “stop-gap measure” while they nailed the C8 down. Sure….edgy sheet metal & fake stitched leather aside- toss a C7 up on a lift next to a C6 & C5….what do you see? Transverse leaf springs, double wishbone suspension all around w- aluminum a-arms/spindles (interchangeable between C5-C6 not sure bout C7) the sway bars, the aluminum subframes, the transaxle/torque tube, the placement of the manual trans etc etc etc - same sh*t, the C7 convinced me to finish “restomodding” my now 718whp C5Z.

The C8 tho? That was worth waiting for. Will own one, next vehicle purchase….but keeping my old school built C5Z

All that vette talk aside, if I haven’t already responded:

From a purely exterior aesthetic standpoint- the Gen2 is the best looking, the fenders front/rear are more chunky/exaggerated than either gen, the front end seems more menacing & shows more of the suspension off (esp in stock trim w/ the bumper holes) even the tailgate appliqué is more “in your face” w/ the “frowning” downturn @ either end of that huge ass emblem. A gen2 w/ some quality aftermarket stickers looks damn serious.

The gen3 is too reserved from a styling standpoint, but love the upgraded interior, the 37”s, & the most importantly, the coil over rear - but none of the gen3 advantages are exterior looks.

Gen2 > gen1 > gen3 from a purely “looks” perspective, I’m gonna guess the majority agrees

Perfect analogy? What makes the TRX blend into the crowd more than a gen2 Raptor is precisely what makes the Gen3 not stand out as well, it’s only a massaged/restrained take on the standard truck. I CANT tell the difference between a Rebel & a TRX from 1/8 of a mile away, same for a gen3 & a platinum F150, but I can tell a gen2 from any other F150 from a 1/4 mile+ away.

#truth
pics of that beast of a c5?! I do love a good c5 zo6.

agree whole heartedly with that very last sentence. easy way to sum up my ramblings.

Muldoon

Reaction score
It’s the Gen 3 for me. I may be bias because this is my first Raptor, but I had rode in my brother-in-laws Gen 2 and I couldn’t get over the electronic exhaust input through the speakers. Just really didn’t like that feature. Plus, the ‘22 Gen 3 has a lot of really cool options and tech in the truck. I mean, the steering wheel alone looks like something out of an F1 car with all those buttons . I just took my graphics off today at work and I still think it’s the best looking one. Code Orange ‘22

Attachments

• 78303B9E-93A6-4172-9BB4-947B6D2ACED8.jpeg
    78303B9E-93A6-4172-9BB4-947B6D2ACED8.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C84F6601-1DF2-4608-819B-A797A5947553.jpeg
    C84F6601-1DF2-4608-819B-A797A5947553.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 18