What Programmer / Tune / Tuner??

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by alumicraft, Feb 24, 2011.

Which tune do you have

1. 5-Star

84 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Livernois

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Out of box tune (SCT, whoever)

18 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Factory

51 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. Other (name what you have)

36 vote(s)
    18.6%
Sponsored By: GotExhaust
  1. TK421

TK421 Member

I bought a used 13' raptor. Only has a catback. It had some sorta tune (no tuner box came with the truck), and would not pass smog. for 3,500 miles the 02S. HO2S, and cat monitor wouldn't run. (in califiornia you can only have the evap monitor not ready) I read on here from others that the tune actually caused it to shut down some of the systems in the computer

It shifted hard under heavy acceleration (slamed into gears), when youde come up to a red light and slow down the engine would like rev match, and the throttle kinda blipped between each gear. Engine sounded louder too

The only to fix it was have someone with a factory ford scanner/programmer flash the PCU back to stock. Afterwards it was stock flash the shifting was much smoother under heavy throttle, engine quieted down (I have a magnaflow, and now its actually really quiet) you cant feel it downshifting either when coming to a stop.

I dunno what kinda crappy tune it had.

Who are the good safe tunes that don't F with the smog devices (sensors ect), but will gain some of that power back?

2. tplee

tplee Full Access Member

Anybody running this tune? Looking for some of the latest input on tunes and tuners, but there's a few questions on here that have gone unanswered. Does anyone actually still own GEN 1's on here?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. IamCanadian

IamCanadian Full Access Member

SCT x4 tuner and JDM or SVC are excellent tunes. I have just rx the JDM tune but still haven't try it out. Just been to dam cold lately to play with the truck. There are many reviews on the forum on different tunes.

4. tplee

tplee Full Access Member

Thanks for the feedback! I read up extensively on SVC and 5* tunes a few years ago. There was quite a lengthy write up on here about it. But things change over the years. SVC releases revised tunes from time to time and new (to me, at least) vendors enter the tuning market, such as JDM and Livernois.

Livernois claims to have thier own software capable of accessing more of the PCM. That sounds good on the surface, but what does this additional access give you? And did they really reverse engineer more PCM firmware? I'm in the software and embedded device business myself, and software reversing is neither cheap nor legal. Have to think the OEM releases an API for the SW devs to hack on and company's like Livernois license it. And I suspect there is not much diversity in that market, meaning Livernois probably has pretty much that same tuning options, where it counts anyway--with maybe just enough what we software hacks call "syntactic sugar" thrown it to call it their own.

Anyway, just trying to see what's new under the sun. About to slap on some 37s and will need a programmer to recal the speedo, so might as well get a tune while I'm at it. Leaning toward 5* given the ability to have multiple tunes supporting various octane and driving applications. That and they are located in Florence, SC--which is just 2 hrs up the road from me in Charleston, SC (not sure why that ultimately matters; dyno time is certainly not included in the tune package).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

03svt likes this.
  5. Stepside

Stepside Full Access Member

I went with SVC about 4 years ago and have also gone thru NJ State Inspection

And you can make changes to timing to accommodate octane &
    I think tire/wheel diameter
    And they will mod their tune to your mods

6. Deanwam8

Deanwam8 Member

I'm deciding between the SCT x4 or the nGauge from Lund Racing....can anyone comment? Has anyone ever gotten a tune from Lund Racing? Thanks...