What oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Word on the street is Ford Performance oil filters are the best but I stick with MC OEM - they're great for the money.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always run Amsoil in everything I own, and I will when my g3 shows up. I usually change after 2000 miles, have Blackstone test it, and then change after 3-5k and test, and depending on test results usually stretch out to 10k then.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the engine different in the G3? Just curious why the discussion on different oils from G2 to G3.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Frequency/Interval of oil change matters more than brand. I would stick with the OEM filter and buy the oil that matches the Motorcraft spec. Owners manual tells you the exact spec so that you can match on the container of the brand that you choose. Even though full synthetic is used, I plan on changing the oil every 3k and rotating the tires.

Don't forget to rotate the tires also!

dc1gator

Reaction score
I did quiet a bit of research on Synthetic oil and settled onPennzoil Ultra Platinum. Since the year 2000 I have changed oil at 7500 miles and have never had engine problems. The most milea I ever put on a vehicle was 126K. IMO, changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste of money. A friend of mine argued with a bunch of Air Force guys about that and they ask him how often he changed oil? He told them that he had never changed oil (which brought laughs). He said he just added a quart a few times a year (more laughs). They ask how many miles he had on his car. His answer: 130,000 MILES. I drove his car and it ran perfectly. I will make the first couple of changes at around 3K miles then go to 7.5K. It works for me.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frequency/Interval of oil change matters more than brand. I would stick with the OEM filter and buy the oil that matches the Motorcraft spec. Owners manual tells you the exact spec so that you can match on the container of the brand that you choose. Even though full synthetic is used, I plan on changing the oil every 3k and rotating the tires.

Don't forget to rotate the tires also!

3k is wasting money. If you truly want to be scientific about it, you would send the oil in for testing.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3k is wasting money. If you truly want to be scientific about it, you would send the oil in for testing.
That’s a whole different story when sending in oil. 3k may be a waste of cash I agree but it forces you to be underneath spotting other potential problems if you are actually off-roading the vehicle and not driving to the mall. I’d prob do 3k for the first 30k and then take it up to 5k after that. Just my opinion after taking a wrangler 3.8L to 215k now.

I edited the post to also say I do my own maintenance. An oil change is just under $40. No biggie and cheap insurance but i agree over kill at 3k. Then again it is a 75k truck that I want to last as long as possible when I take it into the middle of nowhere.

Last edited: