What oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thamac15

Reaction score
I've used Amsoil signature series 5w30 in other vehicles, but I never used them according to their extended service interval and was wasting money. All my Mobil 1 and Valvoline UOA's at 5k intervals in the Southern NM desert have always come back with great results. I've been an aircraft and gas/Diesel engine mechanic for over 20 years and if there's only one thing I've learned,...its routine oil service intervals extend the life of the engine dramatically. So, replace your oil with the correct viscosity that meets the correct specs with the correct filter and you're good to go. These oil threads will always be the same thing,...everyone stating what they use/do with an occasional argument that goes on for a few pages lol.

It's your money and your vehicle, do with it how you see fit.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a whole different story when sending in oil. 3k may be a waste of cash I agree but it forces you to be underneath spotting other potential problems if you are actually off-roading the vehicle and not driving to the mall. I’d prob do 3k for the first 30k and then take it up to 5k after that. Just my opinion after taking a wrangler 3.8L to 215k now.

I edited the post to also say I do my own maintenance. An oil change is just under $40. No biggie and cheap insurance but i agree over kill at 3k. Then again it is a 75k truck that I want to last as long as possible when I take it into the middle of nowhere.
If you're truly off-roading then you should be under it every time you're back. At least I always was with my JLUR. That's a whole different story.

Testing is the best option, that way you know your oil is still effective. I'm all for changing often while your engine is new, flushing all the particles out. But after 10k miles, 7-10k intervals are what Ford recommends.

planetMalone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford change first to have on record but I run Amsoil in all my autos and motorcycles. Their full synthetic is the best.

This guy is worth a watch.

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
Project Farm videos are great! I always check if they have one on any product before I buy.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're truly off-roading then you should be under it every time you're back. At least I always was with my JLUR. That's a whole different story.

Testing is the best option, that way you know your oil is still effective. I'm all for changing often while your engine is new, flushing all the particles out. But after 10k miles, 7-10k intervals are what Ford recommends.
I guess I just have the Chrysler Curse. Can't wait to be a Ford Guy. Sick of the electrical problems.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Motorcraft syn-blend or Motorcraft full synthetic in all of my Fords. I will probably use unicorn blood in the Raptor for improved lubrication.