what needs to be changed to run full e85?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the install for the HPFP is around a 20-30min job and then get a tune for E85 that adjusts the pump settings to accommodate the new pump and you are good to go. I am running a Goose E50 tune and it’s a mix of E85 and 93, truck is nuts on the E50.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda now now understanding E50. And the blending. Only e85 and no ethanol near here. What octane is it? Is there any benfit?
There are places where I can get 105 octane and 116 octane and I have to mix it with 93 pump and the Rap runs like she is on fire

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick search said something to the effect that straight E85 is between 100-104 octane and is about $1 cheaper then 93 so that’s a good cost savings. Lol
These show mixed values.DB696EB1-B98C-4BEE-9258-3E39A698ED5B.jpeg20CF8D77-6EE1-4A24-88F9-ABE41CED497B.jpeg

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick search said something to the effect that straight E85 is between 100-104 octane and is about $1 cheaper then 93 so that’s a good cost savings. Lol
These show mixed values.View attachment 313532View attachment 313533
Kinda knew it was higher octane# but never found out if the higher suger content b/c of the corn messed with anything. Always heard E85 was bad, dunno if it is true or not, like I said, never got any facts on it

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard the install for the HPFP is around a 20-30min job and then get a tune for E85 that adjusts the pump settings to accommodate the new pump and you are good to go. I am running a Goose E50 tune and it’s a mix of E85 and 93, truck is nuts on the E50.
So what about the injectors? Are they an easy install as well? Injectors, colder plugs, and pump plus tune are everything needed.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what about the injectors? Are they an easy install as well? Injectors, colder plugs, and pump plus tune are everything needed.
To run E50 you need intercooler/colder plugs and a tune. To run Full E85 you need to add a high pressure pump OR injectors, if you have money burning a hole you can do both. Not sure how long a injector install is.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Answers for curious minds:

Our trucks have 12 injectors. 6 port injectors and 6 direct injectors. To my knowledge nobody offers larger direct injectors but there are plenty of upgrades for the port injectors.

There are pretty much no gains to be had between E85 and E50 for any truck that doesn't have large turbos on it. For anyone on stock turbos the only real gain from upgraded the DI pump is you don't have to mix fuels anymore. Usually it also requires upgrading the in tank fuel pump as well.

You shouldn't need colder spark plugs. On gasoline it's normal to need colder plugs as you make more power, but the two reasons that alcohol based fuels make more power is they have higher octane and a better latent heat of vaporization which means the fuel can cool the air charge and the cylinder/combustion chamber better by absorbing heat. Because of how much heat ethanol is able to absorb you can actually get incomplete burns and misfires by using too cold of a plug. It's a balancing act, too hot of a plug will melt stuff, too cold of a plug will misfire, make less power and hurt fuel economy.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See . Exactly right. I run E85 (octane 100 - 105) as I got tired of always mixing down to E50. The majority of people only need the HPFP that installs on the passenger side valve cover, not on the low pressure side via the fuel tank.

I use the XDI pump that Goose Tuned (Winfield) sells.

There are no noticeable gains to be made on E85 vs E50, just the benefit of not mixing fuels anymore.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
E50 will have a higher octane than pump gas, have a large cooling effect, make lots of torque, and lower the knock threshold allowing for more timing than 91 or 93.