What makes a Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
McNeil Racing 1 piece 2018-2020 F150.... Not a Raptor, its "The Poverty-Runner"

I built this 2011 F150 Coyote (that turns 7100 rpm) with Gen 2 spec shock top hats, FOX 3.0's front and back, Uni-ball uppers, SVT lowers, Method's, 37's, built posi with 4:88 gears etc etc etc
Might have $15k in it and better suspension than a G2.. Turned out pretty good.
Next year it will get caged and back-halfed as it can already out punt the safety factor when haulin offroad.

As an OG that has several real Raptors, I feel I am fairly well equipped to answer the question "What makes a Raptor" The 6.2, the electronics and ECU programming, the heavy steering and the heavy planted "feel" is what makes the Raptor a Raptor. You can add all the parts you want to a regular F150, but it doesnt "FEEL" the same trust me.

To me, you can build a truck that is as capable or even better than a Raptor, but for a production vehicle there is not one more capable.
The Raptor, specifically the G1 was built by SVT and was special. The G2 is a mass produced package and just doesnt have the same luster.

View attachment 165031

View attachment 165033

View attachment 165034

View attachment 165035
Love that front end!! I don’t think this was available when I started my build. If I could go back, this is the look I would want....

when I get tired of this truck, those new PowerBoost F150s are looking like a sweet platform.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love that front end!! I don’t think this was available when I started my build. If I could go back, this is the look I would want....

when I get tired of this truck, those new PowerBoost F150s are looking like a sweet platform.

Ya, I didnt want Raptor Glass, but there were not a lot of options.
I have the 3rd or 4th new gen F150 1 piece they have made. Got it end of summer of 2020.
Its 92 inches wide, so the stock lowers are only temp until I get a LT setup on this truck.

big girl.jpg biggy.jpg

Reaction score
There’s a guy on Instagram that has a sweet build on a 2010 F150
@notafuckinraptor

eventually, this truck might just evolve into a full blown prerunner too... who knows!

#goals

slow and steady progress for me... I can only do so much work from my driveway on the weekends. ;)

this has also been as much a learning experience as it has been a hobby. I don’t have any modification experience prior to this. Everything you see is basically my first attempt at... anything. The first day cutting off random stuff with a grinder is the hardest, but it gets easier with time! :grd:

View attachment 162909

If you ever pass through Phoenix, you're more than welcome to stop by and see it.

Slow and steady is the way to go, unless you're just a baller with FYM to throw around. I've had the truck for 6 years and have learned a lot along the way in terms of general maintenance. Ultimate goal would be to swap it and get it linked. The little baby 4.6 v8 still gets it, but I'm sure one day it'll just give out. I leave all the important things like welding and anything requiring a form of math to the guys at HM Racing in Lake Elsinore. I had zero experience other than racing RC cars for years. Thought it would transfer into a bigger scale, boy was I wrong. I wanted a Raptor in 2010 originally but ended up settling with a 2010 FX2 that was dealership owned because that's what the bank (my wife) said we could afford at the time. Hoping I'll be able to snag the new one here in the coming months/year.