What made you decide on Gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbyboost

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why no financing?
I don't NEED a Raptor. If I'm going to get one, I'd rather not pay a bank for the privilege. I'm not "anti-financing" or anything.... I realize I could finance the truck, invest the cost and potentially come out a few percent ahead in a few years, but it's just not that important to me. I prefer the feeling of owning something outright to the feeling of possibly making a few thousand dollars.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why no financing?
For me, the amount of effort required to earn the small amount of extra money isn't worth it. If you calculate the amount you gain after taxes minus the interest you pay and divide that by the amount of extra time it costs you, you get an effective hourly wage. If you wouldn't work for that wage, the time is more important to you than the money and you should pay cash.

Yf22jet

Reaction score
For me the reasons I upgraded were simple.

1. I could make some money on a truck I put 15k miles on with trading in the Gen 2.

2. I wanted the five link

3. I wanted the new exhaust and new color (an awe and a wrap would cost more than the upgrade. Leadfoot was driving me crazy trying to keep it clean.)

4. I bought my truck used and could never get the transmission to shift how I wanted it to. My first raptor I bought new (got totaled) and never had any complaints about the transmission. Due to all the other reasons it never made sense to me to try and chase down the issue and relearn it when I had already practically made up my mind I was going to trade up.

Now for the reasons I didn’t want to go with the Gen 3

1. It’ll still cost me a few k and money is money.

2. Same engine as Gen 2 with same power numbers (not that I was disappointed with the Gen 2 just hoped for a little more)

3. (And most importantly) Losing my beloved supercabs. Hoping the extended range makes up for this.

all in all the pros outweighed the cons for me in this situation. It sucks waiting, but when the truck finally comes in I think it’ll make me happy.

Duck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated suspension including coil springs, cabin upgrades and features and um…stock 37”s

Last edited:

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just sold my Mustang and banked 34 grand. I have 17 grand in positive equity in my 18 F150. I can get a loan for the remainder and pay what I currently pay for my 18 F150 XLT which is $34,500 at 1.78% for 5 years. I've bought plenty of vehicles new, never ordered one. If I was going to go to a single vehicle and have the funding to buy a nice one I figured I'd take advantage of my current financial situation. Not a rich guy, just retired Military making about $30 an hour as a Set-Up Mechanic at Bosch. Figured once in my life I'd build one to my taste and order it and enjoy the anticipation of a new toy. So I did just that, fully loaded with the exception of the moon roof, engine heater and stickers at MSRP. Dealer is allowing me to keep my Truck till the Raptor gets to me, then I'll send my 18 F150 XLT his way. It couldn't have been easier.

Last edited:

bkknight369

Reaction score
I just sold my Mustang and banked 34 grand. I have 17 grand in positive equity in my 18 F150. I can get a loan for the remainder and pay what I currently pay for my 18 which is $34,500 at 1.78% for 5 years. I've bought plenty of vehicles new, never ordered one. If I was going to go to a single vehicle and have the funding to buy a nice one I figured I'd take advantage of my current financial situation. Not a rich guy, just retired Military making about $30 an hour as a Set-Up Mechanic at Bosch. Figured once in my life I'd build one to my taste and order it and enjoy the anticipation of a new toy. So I did just that, fully loaded with the exception of the moon roof, engine heater and stickers at MSRP. Dealer is allowing me to keep my Truck till the Raptor gets to me, then I'll send my 18 his way. It couldn't have been easier.
A great situation, congrats!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't NEED a Raptor. If I'm going to get one, I'd rather not pay a bank for the privilege. I'm not "anti-financing" or anything.... I realize I could finance the truck, invest the cost and potentially come out a few percent ahead in a few years, but it's just not that important to me. I prefer the feeling of owning something outright to the feeling of possibly making a few thousand dollars.
That feelings great & all until a distracted broad looking @ Tintok on her phone runs a red light & smashes into you broadside totaling your truck & the $3500 in mods attached to it….feeling was also very secure until a deer opted to launch itself over the guard rail directly into my truck while I was doing 75…totaled….right after a new brake job & tires. So while I appreciate that you can afford to buy outright- & so have I- this is an indisputable phenomenon that can & does happen regularly & when it does, you’d certainly wish you hadn’t paid off that immediately depreciating asset in hrs entirety & instead kept 15-20% of it financed.

life lessons - you’re welcome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahE