What made you decide on Gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That feelings great & all until a distracted broad looking @ Tintok on her phone runs a red light & smashes into you broadside totaling your truck & the $3500 in mods attached to it….feeling was also very secure until a deer opted to launch itself over the guard rail directly into my truck while I was doing 75…totaled….right after a new brake job & tires. So while I appreciate that you can afford to buy outright- & so have I- this is an indisputable phenomenon that can & does happen regularly & when it does, you’d certainly wish you hadn’t paid off that immediately depreciating asset in hrs entirety & instead kept 15-20% of it financed.

life lessons - you’re welcome

I've never had a totaled vehicle before, so perhaps I'm missing something. Are you saying that the insurance will factor in the current financing when determining the payout for a totaled vehicle? Or is this about the feels...a totaled vehicle you completely own feels worse than a vehicle you still owe 20% on?

If a totaled vehicle is valued at $60k, and I still have $20k financed, I get $40k, bank gets $20k. If I owned the vehicle outright, I get $60k. if the point was that I could have been investing $20k elsewhere, that's true, but is true whether that vehicle was totaled or not.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never had a totaled vehicle before, so perhaps I'm missing something. Are you saying that the insurance will factor in the current financing when determining the payout for a totaled vehicle? Or is this about the feels...a totaled vehicle you completely own feels worse than a vehicle you still owe 20% on?

If a totaled vehicle is valued at $60k, and I still have $20k financed, I get $40k, bank gets $20k. If I owned the vehicle outright, I get $60k. if the point was that I could have been investing $20k elsewhere, that's true, but is true whether that vehicle was totaled or not.

the truck is “worth” whatever it’s worth to you at the current time it’s totaled (as in what it would take to replace equally or sell to someone), it’s valued whatever it’s valued at by the in’s company @ the time it’s totaled….that being said, there’s also the total amount you paid outright + maintenance + mods in cash, & whatever that was it goes “****” the second your truck gets totaled, you may get lucky w/ the ins valuation & you may not, regardless when a late model title in hand vehicle gets totaled like that, especially an expensive one like a Raptor, it’s quite literally like flushing $70k downs. Toilet & immediately shoving your hands in trying to claw it back….when it’s the Banks $$$ partially on the line too, yeah @ least the “opportunity cost lost” on the cash you financed Isn’t fully realized b/c as you noted- you could have put it anything else that appreciated in value, & my raptor was totaled a lil over a year ago, think what $20k in the stock market in just boring ETFs would’ve done for ya vs being tied up in a truck….

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the truck is “worth” whatever it’s worth to you at the current time it’s totaled (as in what it would take to replace equally or sell to someone), it’s valued whatever it’s valued at by the in’s company @ the time it’s totaled….that being said, there’s also the total amount you paid outright + maintenance + mods in cash, & whatever that was it goes “****” the second your truck gets totaled, you may get lucky w/ the ins valuation & you may not, regardless when a late model title in hand vehicle gets totaled like that, especially an expensive one like a Raptor, it’s quite literally like flushing $70k downs. Toilet & immediately shoving your hands in trying to claw it back…

None of this has anything to do with whether you have the vehicle financed or not

.when it’s the Banks $$$ partially on the line too, yeah @ least the “opportunity cost lost” on the cash you financed Isn’t fully realized b/c as you noted- you could have put it anything else that appreciated in value, & my raptor was totaled a lil over a year ago, think what $20k in the stock market in just boring ETFs would’ve done for ya vs being tied up in a truck….

And this has nothing to do with whether the truck is totaled or not. That opportunity cost lost is there whether you're running the truck or it gets totaled. Well, accept for the fact that whatever equity you had in the truck is now liquid now that it's toast. (assuming no difference between Ins value and sale value)

One other factor to consider...there is only so much debt I am willing to take on, regardless of what a bank is willing to loan me. I currently have a home loan, and two car loans (2 teenagers). Maybe I'd be comfortable with that 3rd car loan, but as it stands now, I feel as though I have some room for a student loan if I need to, or look at real estate. And sure, I could always sell an investment to pay off a the Raptor loan, and have the same options open to me, but I don't feel like I'm too far extended at this point. I guess it all comes down to what a person's comfort level is.

tacomoth

Reaction score
got 60k for my 19 screw with 50k miles on . Paid 65k for it 802a. no brainer. I use it for its intended use in Wyoming. That back end jumping all the time sucks and is dangerous. Looking forward to new rear suspension.

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sold my Mustang and banked 34 grand. I have 17 grand in positive equity in my 18 F150. I can get a loan for the remainder and pay what I currently pay for my 18 F150 XLT which is $34,500 at 1.78% for 5 years. I've bought plenty of vehicles new, never ordered one. If I was going to go to a single vehicle and have the funding to buy a nice one I figured I'd take advantage of my current financial situation. Not a rich guy, just retired Military making about $30 an hour as a Set-Up Mechanic at Bosch. Figured once in my life I'd build one to my taste and order it and enjoy the anticipation of a new toy. So I did just that, fully loaded with the exception of the moon roof, engine heater and stickers at MSRP. Dealer is allowing me to keep my Truck till the Raptor gets to me, then I'll send my 18 F150 XLT his way. It couldn't have been easier.
Thank you for your past service!

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always aspired to own one, new rear suspension exclusive to the Raptor model (for now), newly tuned exhaust with 4-modes, new and improved interior and a refreshed exterior. My only con: Ford dropped the SuperCab configuration for 2021:(