What made you decide on Gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm on the fence on a Gen 3. Currently have a Gen 2, 2017, 48K miles. I think 17/18 have a tad more to gain then 19/20 guys. But even then is it worth the jump? I'm close to paying my truck off (year) but if I jump to Gen 3 I'd essential have the same payment just tack on a few more years. Right now I'm about to buy new leafs, shocks, and front springs all of which is needed. Should I just skip it and make the jump? Biggest gain I see is the live valve and coil rear-end. I'm in partial to the interior and I don't think the exterior is that much of a huge change. The drivetrain is disappointing with no power gains. So what made you guys jump to a Gen 3?

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 18 has 55k miles so similar boat....If I could get factory 37 for MSRP by a local dealer, I would, but no one is dealing. Mine is paid off so the deavers and eibachs in my garage will be going on in the next few weeks. I’ll see what year 2 of the R brings in 2023/4.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020. I really like it, but also really like the new interior and tech. Hopefully getting a 37 package truck, because I want the Recaros. Order goes in today and will find out for sure.
Plus, I am trading mine now and they will hold the trade credit for up to a year, so I can still get the tax differential savings.
I have a second vehicle, so this won't hurt to not have a truck for several months.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bigger screen :)... But best time to sell your current one since the resell price is so high.

I suspect that used prices will go down about the same time that new prices start dropping. If you are selling something that isn't your DD though, then sure, you can time the market right.

For me, I think a Gen 3 is possible a couple years from now. I want to get more use out of my Gen 2. Lots of reasons why a Gen 3 will likely be more appealing then too. Lower price, possibly better options, less new model bugs, the opportunity to actual see and test drive, etc. The two things I'd be giving up by waiting is immediate gratification and bragging rights for being one of the first. I can get that emotional high for cheaper by putting on a mod or two on my Gen 2.