What kind of radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m considering installing a radio for use during off road group runs (I have yet to attend one, but I’m planning to in the future), and also to have as a means of communication if I ever find myself out of cell range and in need of assistance. My first inclination would be to bite the bullet and get a Ham radio license and radio, since it appears to be the best option in terms of power, range, and clarity should I ever need a radio in an emergency. But I’d like to avoid having to install more than one radio, and I’m worried that Ham may not be an acceptable type of radio for group runs. My impression is that most require CB, which would be my last choice on the merits, but the reality is that this will most likely be my main use of the radio, so if that is what’s required, then so be it. I haven’t looked into whether there are units that have both types in one.

So what are most people running? CB, FRS, GMRS, HAM? Any pointers on brands or models? I’d like to keep it compact and easy to install. Will my NMO antenna mount (I ordered one with my GJ third brake light) work for all types of radios?

I got my programmed Icon from LVJ Motorsports who also makes the wiring harness for the GJ Motorsports 3rd brake light. Keith at LVJ is a radio expert, give him a shout. Keep in mind, the programming part is as important as the radio.

@Kmandoske

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will do some more research and give him a call. I’m not even sure what questions to ask yet. I didn’t even know programming was involved :Pshyco: More complicated than I thought.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few Motorola XTL VHF mobiles, 50 watt and 110 watt, hand held control head or just a remote head, I had these for another project that came into fruition, if you need one, let me know, I will eventually list these if I ever get a spare minute.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am no expert by any means but I kept it cheap and bought a used Motorola 50watt radio that looked identical to the one they used in the raptor assault program for 45 bucks on Ebay. Bought a nmo antenna and 20ft cable and spent under 100 bucks. But a all in one kit is nice. I also have some bao fang handhelds as backup and for when I go out on casual runs with a non raptor group. If you are in California ROC is the group I ride with and they are super organized and family friendly.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention they are on raddrives.com for runs and raptor off road community on fb. I also use socal trail buds for local socal runs. It's a good mix of off road folks and all super chill. PM me for more info if you need it!