What is your buffer of choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossRaptor

Reaction score
So took my 19 Raptor out yesterday and got off trails that im normally on. Short story long, I scratched the **** out each side. I bought a all white non sticker Raptor because I knew this day would be coming. I need to learn how to buff this truck myself because im a firefighter with more time than money. What buffer would you all recommend that isn't big money? And has sum quality to it . What products would be best? Think most or all of the scratches will come off with a little work. Weather in Az has cooled off so im up for the challenge for sure!

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So took my 19 Raptor out yesterday and got off trails that im normally on. Short story long, I scratched the **** out each side. I bought a all white non sticker Raptor because I knew this day would be coming. I need to learn how to buff this truck myself because im a firefighter with more time than money. What buffer would you all recommend that isn't big money? And has sum quality to it . What products would be best? Think most or all of the scratches will come off with a little work. Weather in Az has cooled off so im up for the challenge for sure!
RUPES Bigfoot LHR15 see if can find used on on ebay or craigslist for cheap . New they are expensive . If it needs rebuild 95 dollar flat fee through RUPES repair center .

Last edited:

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a Rupes fan and have more polishes and pads than I care to admit.

You've got several different choices as most manufactures each have a polishing machine offering. I'd advise yout to stick with a Dual Action polisher as it's the least likely to burn through your clear coat like a Rotary polisher. One of the easiset polishers and the one many detailers and enthusiasts go with is the old school Porter Cable 7424XP. I still have my 15 year old PC 7424 and it still works great.

For a big box store option and since price is a factor, consider the new Harbor Freight 6" DA made by Bauer. I picked one up for the daughters boyfriend (so he stops asking to use my machines) and got to play around with it. It seems like a decent machine with good value, ergonomics and power. It did exhibit a bit more vibrate than I'm used to but that's to be expected from a lower priced machine. I would probably switch to a 5" backing plate for a bit more correcting power and manuverability as persoanlly I find 6" pads to be a bit akward. Check it out...

The real magic comes with pad choice and compound. Several options including some from Adam's that won't break the bank. I think you can pick up Meguiars M101 at any of the major autoparts stores to keep it easy. Works great but can be a little dusty.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 37

AFPhysO

Reaction score
I use a Cyclo. Covers a lot of ground, comfortable, and easy to use. Doesn’t have the super high RPMs though. But it’s nice not really worrying about burning through a finish. Plus, you can buy bristle heads to clean carpet and upholstery.