What is your absolute FAVORITE place to camp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with this type of thread in the past. Thought I would give it a try Here on FRF. I figure if it's someone's absolute favorite, it might just be worth checking out.

So what is your one favorite place to camp? Provide as much or as little detail as you want, pictures, stories, maps, etc are encouraged.

Also, I know some people might not want to blow up their spot, so if you want to share but leave out the name, that is cool too. Maybe leave a subtle clue so those who really want to can find it? Up to you.

I will start, my favorite of all time would have to be Oceano Dunes AKA Pismo beach. Drive up, set camp, relax and watch the surf. Hardly a secret spot, but definitely worth going! I hope to go at least once this summer.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oceano dunes are cool, but I live about 3 miles from them :D

So my pick so far has been the Hilton lakes near mammoth ca

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
mikehoncho88

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish everyone had an opportunity to camp at least once in some of the spots that I've been to on the Islands.

A spot that we had to hike to took two days. But, the spot was the most incredible place I've ever been to. It was with my Boy Scout troop. It was a beach on a bay. There were a pod of whales that happened to be there for our duration. We could hear them underwater, singing their songs.

We camped there for a few days. We had to pack everything in. MRE's etc. We ended up getting a wild boar and made some stew.

Best time, ever.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Waipio Valley Lookout - Honokaa, HI | Yelp

We had to hike down to that beach. Up that valley on a switchback to get to the next valley over.

Haleakala Crater - Haleakala National Park - Reviews of Haleakala Crater - TripAdvisor

We hiked three days through the crater to the other side. Learned a lot reading a compass and maps on that trip. One of our scout masters was a Green Beret (Col.). Taught us a lot of stuff!

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we camp in Arizona with our scout troop. Just curious, do you guys just hop a plane to get to the different islands, or take a ferry?
Some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen have been in Hawaii.