What is this thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ten_blade

Reaction score
Recently bought a heavily modified 2019. Today I noticed a device mounted under the truck, after the rear axle, partially covered by aluminum shield. Only marking is ‘ARB’ and the body of it is blue aluminum, almost looks like an air compressor. Any ideas?

9C255867-EA2C-4C4B-8876-4C48C8EDDADC.jpeg800C6355-1B44-4774-B9B1-9FA2314EF73F.jpeg

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You pretty well have it figured out already. It is an ARB air compressor. Looks like a single.

You can use it to air tires up and if you have the manifold you can use it to activate and air locker.

Your truck may have a fabricated diff housing that could use an air locker for sure. Your truck may have a torsen in the front and may not need an air locker up there. The previous owner may have used it to air up tires.

Take a look at the compressor and follow what is going to it and what is leaving it. It needs power, it needs a ground, it needs a signal wire for the relay. Leaving it would be an air hose. Does the hose go to a little tank, the manifold, or a remote air chuck, etc.

There are videos and what not of the arb on YouTube, wiring diagrams on their website, etc.

OP
OP
ten_blade

ten_blade

Reaction score
You pretty well have it figured out already. It is an ARB air compressor. Looks like a single.

You can use it to air tires up and if you have the manifold you can use it to activate and air locker.

Your truck may have a fabricated diff housing that could use an air locker for sure. Your truck may have a torsen in the front and may not need an air locker up there. The previous owner may have used it to air up tires.

Take a look at the compressor and follow what is going to it and what is leaving it. It needs power, it needs a ground, it needs a signal wire for the relay. Leaving it would be an air hose. Does the hose go to a little tank, the manifold, or a remote air chuck, etc.

There are videos and what not of the arb on YouTube, wiring diagrams on their website, etc.

There is a connection to the rear differential, confirming at least a rear air locker. There is also a relay and a fuse mounted nearby which I didn’t notice before. The relay looks cooked. I tried a couple of the aux switches that aren’t connected to lighting but no action from the compressor.

I guess I’ll replace the relay. I don’t know if there would be another way to turn this on outside of the switches.
0F40199A-2DE4-4A84-877B-C5EC8145A67E.jpeg