What is this sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atl_raptor

Reaction score
Hello, my ‘17 with 19k miles has developed a weird sound when you let off the gas at slow speeds in 2 and 4 wheel drive. It will also do it in N. In the can, it sounds like someone throwing ice into a styrofoam cup to me. I recorded a video from the driver side wheel well and will post it when I get back to a computer. Any ideas?

https://flic.kr/p/RQKYsS

Last edited:

ArmyTanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow- that Would be irritating it doesn’t sound good at all. Doesn’t sound like a waste gate rattle, sounds more to me like a turbo bearing? Could be flat out wrong that’s my guess

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, my ‘17 with 19k miles has developed a weird sound when you let off the gas at slow speeds in 2 and 4 wheel drive. It will also do it in N. In the can, it sounds like someone throwing ice into a styrofoam cup to me. I recorded a video from the driver side wheel well and will post it when I get back to a computer. Any ideas?

https://flic.kr/p/RQKYsS

That is a cam phaser(s) that went bad.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There’s more than one noise. There’s an rpm related tapping, sounds like valve train, and there’s the throttle up / down rattle. Neither are telling you “hey, I’m fine, don’t worry”.

OP
OP
A

atl_raptor

Reaction score
Dealer said mechanic heard no unusual noise and truck is healthy. I don't think he even touched the gas pedal because that video does not sound right at all.. Going there when they open up to have the manager ride with me. Why is it so hard to find a good dealership mechanic for a truck under warranty...

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t sound engine related at all. It sounds like an external rattle like the trans flex plate, skid plate bolts loose, etc. The dealer goon will never find it because there’s no money in it if they can’t swap out some parts. Just take your time and get under the truck with your tools and tighten every skid plate/shield bolt and you will find the problem. It only makes the noise when the engine pulses hit the resonant frequency to cause the shield/plate to vibrate.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a bad valve, if it isn't something resonating from a vibration. Hard to say without getting under it and looking at what is going on.

OP
OP
A

atl_raptor

Reaction score
I went up there this morning and rode with the service manager. Recreated the noise multiple times for them. He stated that he thought it was a timing tensioner / cam phaser issue. Starting a warranty ticket this morning and will update me on complete diagnosis.

OP
OP
A

atl_raptor

Reaction score
Just got a call from the dealer. New engine approved and ordered. The end is finally in sight. In my third week of a rental and I miss my truck!