What is this noise?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mccallana

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2017 Raptor that keeps making this sound almost like a rollercoaster. It has been doing it on and off for months, Comes and goes while driving, and doesn’t matter what speed or if I’m turning or going straight. I’ve taken it to the shop many times and they haven’t found anything wrong because, of course, it doesn’t make the sound when they have it. Video attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1893.MOV
    15.3 MB

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2017 Raptor that keeps making this sound almost like a rollercoaster. It has been doing it on and off for months, Comes and goes while driving, and doesn’t matter what speed or if I’m turning or going straight. I’ve taken it to the shop many times and they haven’t found anything wrong because, of course, it doesn’t make the sound when they have it. Video attached. Thanks!
Sounds like a rattling heat shield or loose exhaust.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is iwe. Vacuum isn’t fully engaging so the teeth are rattling against each other. Cap off the iwe according to the tech bulletin.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had issues with my IWEs too.
Mainly the plastic line / hoses crumbling.
Sure seems like there are a LOT of better ways to engage/dis-engage the hubs.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got done replacing all of the small diameter crispy crunchy vac. lines for the IWES on my truck. I accumulated a TON of hoses, tees, connectors, fittings, adapters, and everything I could dream to be useful. I ended up using about 10-12 feet of 1/8" id silicone hose. It was pretty nice and flexible.
About 10-12 zip ties to the factory clips/ mounting points.
A new check valve. One tee and one connector which I could have avoided (in front of radiator) had I had one length of hose long enough to go side to side.
I probably spent half hour 45 minutes. Factory vent tubing still in place. Hopefully that crunchy stuff doesn't allow any water, dirt, debris in. But I have yet to submerge my truck or anything. All seemed good in the driveway checking it out. Best I have seen so far. Will see next time going down the road. Hopefully no more 2WD noises.