What is the main difference between 2012 and 2014 radios.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jokerftn

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the the site and am looking at either a 2014 and 2012 gen 1. I was wondering what the difference between the head units are, I noticed one has tactile ac and heated seats buttons and the newer 2014 doesn't. What are the main differences if there is any?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2010-2012 are basically the same. very small changes that dont affect your question. 2013 and 2014 were upgraded and the only way to access the heated and cooled seats is through the touch screen controls. the 13/14 year trucks also runs on a different data system. therefors it is possible to upgrade to sync 3 if you so choose. because the 10-12 trucks didnt have this data system, they are not interchangeable. however these trucks made it a bit easier to change out the sound system. 13/14 trucks take more work (money) 13/14 trucks had hid headlights, cooled seats, different control figurations, steering wheel buttons, etc and a few other options added when compared to 10-12. as far as mechanical, the 2012 year introduced the torsen front diff so either truck will have it. the 13/14 trucks also had a reinforced rear frame. theres small stuff im missing, but if you can get the 14, go for it.

OP
OP
J

jokerftn

Reaction score
2010-2012 are basically the same. very small changes that dont affect your question. 2013 and 2014 were upgraded and the only way to access the heated and cooled seats is through the touch screen controls. the 13/14 year trucks also runs on a different data system. therefors it is possible to upgrade to sync 3 if you so choose. because the 10-12 trucks didnt have this data system, they are not interchangeable. however these trucks made it a bit easier to change out the sound system. 13/14 trucks take more work (money) 13/14 trucks had hid headlights, cooled seats, different control figurations, steering wheel buttons, etc and a few other options added when compared to 10-12. as far as mechanical, the 2012 year introduced the torsen front diff so either truck will have it. the 13/14 trucks also had a reinforced rear frame. theres small stuff im missing, but if you can get the 14, go for it.
Thank you so much for the info.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the 2010-12 (i have a 12) do have a sinc system with buttons on the wheel. they also have cooled seats (mine does, love that here in FL). Mine (as mentioned) cannot be upgraded to sinc 3 like a lot of guys do, but there are plenty of aftermarket headunits that have touch screen and add carplay/android audio which is really the main reason to upgrade. I'd look at the rest of the truck and base a decision on other stuff.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2012 also got the beefed up 9.75 rear end .. I think it was a move from 34 to 35 spline axles iirc.