what is the best all purpuse tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm know tires are like shoes...everyone has their preference but here goes anyways...

What would be the best all purpose tire for summer/winter running....im going to need a tire replacement very soon....

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tread is generally an interlocking design with more voids than a street tread. All-terrain tires also almost always feature siping, or very small grooves cut into each tread block, for better grip on smooth surfaces and ice. This type of 4x4 tire offers good tread life, a quiet ride and very good on-road handling characteristics. These are a great choice for a vehicle that you use primarily on road, but want a bit more capability for occasional use off-road.
1) The BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO is the iconic tire in this segment, being introduced in 1976 and enjoying a healthy market share over its life.
2) Other current examples include the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor, General Grabber AT2 and Pro Comp Radial All-Terrain.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That line has now been skewed with the addition of these 'hybrid' mud terrain/all terrain tires. For a true all terrain my list goes- in descending order

BFG A/T (non raptor tread)
Toyo A/T
Nitto Terra Grappler
Goodyear Wrangler

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That line has now been skewed with the addition of these 'hybrid' mud terrain/all terrain tires. For a true all terrain my list goes- in descending order

BFG A/T (non raptor tread)
Toyo A/T
Nitto Terra Grappler
Goodyear Wrangler

Is there a reason why you put the Toyo A/T over the Nitto Terra Grappler? I've never had experience with either tire, but would like to know as I am considering them as my next set of tires.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of Toyo OC A/T II's a couple of months ago. We haven't seen snow yet, but so far, I Love, Love, Love them. fyi: they are hard to find her e in the states. There was a rebate in Canada over the summer. ymmv

FP Forged

Justin Lundy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you put the Toyo A/T over the Nitto Terra Grappler? I've never had experience with either tire, but would like to know as I am considering them as my next set of tires.

Wait for the G2 if you go Nitto or buy the AT2 now. The Terra is an old design but being replaced in the next month or so with the G2.

OP
OP

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some great suggestions here...thanks guys...now if I could just not vomit over the cost... :-/

Anyone try a set of Deegan 38's yet?