GEN 2 What is really going on with suspension modes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It does quite a bit of communication

Wow this is a good find. Gives some good insight to how the system functions.

@Big Blue Can we get maybe a sticky for this under suspension, as this references the VDM reset procedure that should be done on the ‘19-20’s, who perform spring mods up front. I think you may have put up a sticky explaining the procedure already. If so, maybe you can just add this document to it.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how this system compares to GM’s Magneride system that they employ on the high end vehicles.
Could magnetic dampeners be used on an off-road application?
I know the ZR2 got spool valve shocks designed by Multimatic so I’m not sure.

I had the Mag-ride shocks on my ZL1 and they were amazing.
Shot at 60k miles (sound familiar) but well worth the replacement cost ($1600 in parts, if I recall correctly).

From my 20k Raptor miles and forum discussions, I gather that the Fox Live-Valve shocks provide a similar type of benefit.
No dive under breaking and other handling improvements relative to non-Live-Valve Raptors.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow this is a good find. Gives some good insight to how the system functions.

@Big Blue Can we get maybe a sticky for this under suspension, as this references the VDM reset procedure that should be done on the ‘19-20’s, who perform spring mods up front. I think you may have put up a sticky explaining the procedure already. If so, maybe you can just add this document to it.

Done! :cheers:

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's a video from Fox on how live valve works. I come from a mountain biking background where this stuff is the bee's knees for anyone who doesn't have professionals revalving and custom tuning your shocks/forks. The computer is monitoring inputs @1000hz and is able to make adjustments in 3ms (per Fox). From the Raptor Assault guys, it's also factoring in drive modes but it is also likely due to a change in inputs (i.e. you're likely only doing 2-10mph in rock crawl 4L so the truck will feel more supple vs 30-70mph in Baja 4H.)

Reaction score
The Raptor Connection's instagram just shared a company called DSC Sport that has a new controller that will replace the factory control module. The new controller will retune all of the factory suspension modes and be able to react in real time to driving conditions and alter the shocks dampening and rebound accordingly.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor Connection's instagram just shared a company called DSC Sport that has a new controller that will replace the factory control module. The new controller will retune all of the factory suspension modes and be able to react in real time to driving conditions and alter the shocks dampening and rebound accordingly.
I was looking at that. It looked interesting.

Foraye

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While at Raptor Assault, they explained what was going on with the modes. It’s throttle response, brakes, trans and suspension changes. We then verified it on a short dirt track…especially how the suspension and brakes combine to limit nose dive and control. Baja Mode is Sport on steriod and should not be used on pavement if at all possible. Lots more than the live valves!