GEN 2 What is really going on with suspension modes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poser999

Reaction score
on my 2019 with Live Valve I see the Raptor Status screen show 3 different suspension settings - Normal, Sport, Off Road - depending on drive mode selected.

I've read that the system can tell when the truck is airborne and will stiffen for bottoming resistance. Does that happen in all drive modes/ suspension settings? Or only off-road?

Is there a link to where these 3 suspension modes are explained in detail?

adam0311

Reaction score
There must be other adjustments made between the modes. The suspension in rock crawl mode is much softer than Baja mode, yet each is “off-road”.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s basically shock valving that is performed, when switching modes. The truck can stiffen them up or loosen them based on the mode selected. The truck can supposedly adjust to the terrain it’s running on, but how well and fast it does this, I wouldn’t know.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s basically shock valving that is performed, when switching modes. The truck can stiffen them up or loosen them based on the mode selected. The truck can supposedly adjust to the terrain it’s running on, but how well and fast it does this, I wouldn’t know.

Makes me wonder how this system compares to GM’s Magneride system that they employ on the high end vehicles.

Could magnetic dampeners be used on an off-road application?

I know the ZR2 got spool valve shocks designed by Multimatic so I’m not sure.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how this system compares to GM’s Magneride system that they employ on the high end vehicles.

Could magnetic dampeners be used on an off-road application?

I know the ZR2 got spool valve shocks designed by Multimatic so I’m not sure.

those dynamic spool valve shocks seem to be the most robust design out there & were mostly relegated to super high end vehicles or straight race cars.....wonder if there are other offroad applications using them? My basic understanding was the design is superior to basically everything else, is it just a matter of cost?

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those dynamic spool valve shocks seem to be the most robust design out there & were mostly relegated to super high end vehicles or straight race cars.....wonder if there are other offroad applications using them? My basic understanding was the design is superior to basically everything else, is it just a matter of cost?

From what I read yesterday, the Colorado was the first application of those spool valves in an off-road application. Apparently, they’ve been used on the Ford GT, (since Multimatic builds the whole damn car anyway), the Camaro Z28, and some karting and race cars.

I’m sure Multimatic holds the patent on them, but it makes me wonder what will happen in the future when the technology becomes more widespread.