What is Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine done a couple months after I got it, paint correction and ceramic coat. The delay was to let it completely cure before getting it done.

For the record, the paint on my vehicle looked great before they started. I mean it was really nice, quality, factory paint with no areas I was unhappy with. I thought the process would result in basically the same truck that I would not have to wax as often.

The results were surprising. The very good looking paint was outstanding after the correction. The ceramic coat made a bright shine that even the best hand waxing can't quiet make that deep. Over a year later, with only occasional hand washing using the appropriate soaps from the same brand as the ceramic coat, water still sheets off the truck. When I don't have time to wash the truck by hand simply running it through the local touch free car wash results in a really good looking vehicle.

I am happy, and would do it again.

T!

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen some pretty huge numbers for how much people are paying for ceramic coating. You CAN do this yourself; really you can. I posted earlier on what I did and I’m no expert. See my previous post. Just followed directions. Wasn’t that hard. Turned out amazing. All materials (less Microfiber towels) cost around 200 bucks and I used the best products. It looks great...and what can be better than spending some time rubbing on your Raptor?

jaggwaa

Reaction score
Maybe m late to answer, but here is what i know. Ceramic coating is liquid silica. Its glass in liquid form. Made in china, comes in drums, and then packaged in small bottles, and sold for 1000% times its cost price. Its kinda permanent thing but if need be to remove it, u need to grind it out, or cut it out via hard compound process.
It does only work with paint. Only bond with paint. Interior coating, plastics coating, anything else is false and fake. It only bonds to painted surfaces. The main benefit is you can wash your car with sandy cloth and it wont make swirls marks. If a stone hit your front at highway speed, it will cause damage.

Paint correction is simply if you have scratches, even on the new vehicle, that part have to be buffed out, idea behind is same, you are going to apply somewhat a permanent layer on top, so better start with a scratch and swirl free clean paint. If the dealer washed your new vehicle before delivery with a dirty cloth, then it will result in swirl marks, may be microscopic, but a dirty cloth will always introduce micro scratches, that you can only see with a light. So mostly new vehicles need none or very little paint correction, but you will be charged for a full service.

Now imho, clear bra is better option, though it changes colour after a while, like may be 2 to 4 years later, but protection is there. The self healing ones are good products, just go to amazon and buy a roll and watch a youtube tutorial on how to apply it. If some one quoted you 10,000$ for a full car, you can buy the material in less than 1000$, rest is all application fees. which anyone can do.

And one more thing, all this is excessive not must do'sss.. unless you are going to keep the vehicle for 20 years, and after 20 years you wana say to your peers, hey look at my paint, its still like factory. Besides, there are other factors, like if there is a little dent on a door, then you have to redo the full door.

The only thing.... thats important now......pay attention.... the only reason i do ppf on all my cars, is keying, people deliberately keying to scratch your car. This is the only main benefit i can see. If you live in an area full of jealous ****** bags. Then ppf is well worthy investment. Natural dings and dents are natural. Its part of the game. and i wont notice them either, but when people make a full scratch line from front fender, thru the doors, to the rear with a key or even screw driver, i want to burn them alive, kill them, make em alive again and burn them again and repeat till eternity.........say "hell ya" . if u agree

Last edited:

Mariners Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if you have the graphics on the hood and sides? I had clear bra installed on the front as well, does that have to come off?

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have expel ultimate clear film on my 2016 sti, and it has not disclored or disfigured at all in 4 years. However, rocks will still do damage to it at highway speeds.

The ceramic coatings are an abrasive cut into the paint and if not done properly will leave surface scratches in the cover coat. I use chemical guys products and have a torx polisher. Any of yall want awesome shine then use some butter wax with the v07 sealent. It will shine better than the ceramic coatings and last just about as long. I can only imagine what igl coatings charges for this.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have expel ultimate clear film on my 2016 sti, and it has not disclored or disfigured at all in 4 years. However, rocks will still do damage to it at highway speeds.

The ceramic coatings are an abrasive cut into the paint and if not done properly will leave surface scratches in the cover coat. I use chemical guys products and have a torx polisher. Any of yall want awesome shine then use some butter wax with the v07 sealent. It will shine better than the ceramic coatings and last just about as long. I can only imagine what igl coatings charges for this.

Just want to make it clear that: Ceramic coatings are not abrasive. The silica based nano-particles will not be the source of surface scratches. What can be the source of surface scratches is a poor applicator or use of a poor quality microfiber to buff with. The process of prep and application is not that hard to do...I’d say it’s even pretty easy on a new vehicle where you don’t have to do any paint correction. The paint correction is the only area of the process that would give me pause as a neophyte. The rest is easy.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes and I should have clarified that the coating is not but if not properly applied at the right speeds or with the right applicator then it can lead to clear coat scratching and even burnt paint. Paint correction and swirls are an easy fix with the proper cutting compound. The main issues lots of people run into is when removing surface scratches off paint. It requires good technique to not burn the paint and to take enough off to remove the scratch and provide a seamless color repair. It takes time and skill to do this. Who ever applies this stuff I would make sure they are certified by the factory or company that you are using.