What is Forscan and How Do I Use It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the whole link. It doesn’t seem to answer my questions.

#2 tells you how to get the extended license. Literally everything you will ever need to use forscan is in that thread. You need to make sure you completely read and understand what forscan is and how it works. Making incorrect changes in forscan can PERMANENTLY disable features, cause connectivity issues with modules, and even brick modules if you do not know what you are doing. Your thread title makes me a littl concerned. If you don’t know what forscan is, why do you want to use it? What changes are you wanting made?

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to find a basics thread on this but all I see is everyone talking about it as if everyone on earth is already familiar with it.

Just got my 2018 a week ago and came across Forscan stuff while searching for *********** the stupid auto start/stop. I saw there's a wiring hack for it, but I gather I can disable the feature with Forscan.

Do I just buy one of these, download the Forscan Lite app, connect the two, and go?

I don't own or even know anyone who owns a Windows computer (100% Mac) so I have to use my iPhone.

Anything else I should know? How easy is it to screw up my truck or void the warranty with this software?

You will need a windows pc. I got a cheap dell windows laptop on black friday for $129 just for this and it does the job. There are cheap windows tablets you can buy for like $90 that will do the job too.

Your link is for a wifi adapter. I would recommend getting the USB cable version of the adapter as it is more reliable than wifi or bluetooth versions. In the spreadsheet there is a link to the recommended USB one.

You need to read the spreadsheet how to. There is a bit of a rigamorole to the steps in getting Forscan running but it is vastly worth it in being able to customize your truck.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just purchased a windows 10 laptop and a ELM327 with toggle switch. I want to do nav in motion
Seat belt chime
Daytime running lights
Disable two honk if you walk away with fob
And probably more after I do research. I’m going to do ALOT of reading and make sure I fully understand it before I go and **** something up. Many post how easy it is, hope I can overcome my lack of computer skills and successfully do this.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Save all the as-built module programming/data to your hard drive before you change anything. You can just revert to stock if any issues pop up.

guyzilla

Reaction score
I received my 2018 about 8 months ago and purchased the cheap laptop and forscan bluetooth device as well before it arrived. reading the forums for about a year i was convinced i had to do the forscan so i could eliminate the auto stop and fake engine noise mainly. i immediately realized the engine noise is not even noticeable and the disconnect of the auto stop under the dash is soo easy. I still have the laptop and forscan device in their original packaging and don't know if i will ever use it? seatbelt chime would be nice but not enough to make me do the forscan.

Reaction score
I received my 2018 about 8 months ago and purchased the cheap laptop and forscan bluetooth device as well before it arrived. reading the forums for about a year i was convinced i had to do the forscan so i could eliminate the auto stop and fake engine noise mainly. i immediately realized the engine noise is not even noticeable and the disconnect of the auto stop under the dash is soo easy. I still have the laptop and forscan device in their original packaging and don't know if i will ever use it? seatbelt chime would be nice but not enough to make me do the forscan.
Instructions for disconnecting the seat belt chime is in the owners manuel. It’s easy and takes just a couple minutes.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am in the same quandary as the OP. I appreciate the links, but a 110 page thread would take way more time than I’d ever have to digest.

I bought the obd connector, downloaded the latest version of forscan, joined the forum, and never received the admin approval. I emailed them and got no reply. That’s about 2 weeks ago, and yes I checked my spam folder.

So, I’ve been reluctant to even hook it up cause I’m told I need a license. I want the basic not extended version.

Must I wait for that seemingly never arriving admin approval? Ty