What happens if you unplug telematics/modem on a 2019 with 802A?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of finally replacing my 2011 with a 19/20. Would get an 802A with all the electronics crap, which I generally like. But I live/work in the software industry and I've seen how handling of customer data really works, and I've seen how internet-connected device "security" really works.....so let me just say I'm completely uninterested in having a cellular internet modem in my truck.

I have not bought the new truck yet, but from searching here it looks like unplugging this module will do the trick: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/jl3t14g229ak-what-is-this-module.70052/

Will lose all Ford Pass/Sync Connect/whatever-it's-called connectivity and all that... am 100% okay with this.

My question is simply has anyone ever tried running with that modem unplugged? Does the system freak out and constantly annoy you with messages telling you something is wrong? Does it disable more functionality than is necessary, i.e., things that don't actually need any internet access? Hell in 2019 I could see this throwing the check engine light.

Alternatively, is there any way to fully turn it off in software? I'd generally much prefer to unplug the hardware, because software developers have a way of not really turning everything off even when they say they do. Ask me how I know. :D

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of finally replacing my 2011 with a 19/20. Would get an 802A with all the electronics crap, which I generally like. But I live/work in the software industry and I've seen how handling of customer data really works, and I've seen how internet-connected device "security" really works.....so let me just say I'm completely uninterested in having a cellular internet modem in my truck.

I have not bought the new truck yet, but from searching here it looks like unplugging this module will do the trick: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/jl3t14g229ak-what-is-this-module.70052/

Will lose all Ford Pass/Sync Connect/whatever-it's-called connectivity and all that... am 100% okay with this.

My question is simply has anyone ever tried running with that modem unplugged? Does the system freak out and constantly annoy you with messages telling you something is wrong? Does it disable more functionality than is necessary, i.e., things that don't actually need any internet access? Hell in 2019 I could see this throwing the check engine light.

Alternatively, is there any way to fully turn it off in software? I'd generally much prefer to unplug the hardware, because software developers have a way of not really turning everything off even when they say they do. Ask me how I know. :D

What can Ford do with all the data it collects? I mean, other than nailing you for odometer rollback, I don’t see any harm.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What can Ford do with all the data it collects? I mean, other than nailing you for odometer rollback, I don’t see any harm.

Lots of things...like sell data about your movements and habits to advertisers; or hand it over to law enforcement. Or, lots of other things. For example, let’s say you are tuned and you are encountering some issues along the way, like throwing codes, clearing codes, flashing, clearing KAM, etc. If all of these events are being passed through the cellular modem (e.g., to generate messages in your Ford Pass app), then your chances of getting your warranty voided (regardless of whether it is actually justified) just increased substantially.

I enjoy the tech and have all this crap enabled, but I’m under no illusions about the privacy I am giving up in the process.

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score

Off the top of my head....

• Remote attacks (obviously this is not a Ford, but potential problem for any always-connected vehicle) :
  • Sale or your data (e.g. where you are, everywhere you've been) to third parties. And you agree to it in constantly updated terms and conditions / privacy policies.
  • Monitoring of your conversations by employees in order to improve voice-command features. Not *likely* a real problem yet as I don't believe this does keyword recognition without pressing voice button first. Google/Amazon/Apple/Samsung have all been caught pants down on this one...which is why I disable those services on phones/devices as well.
  • Leaks of customer data by company or third parties: e.g. someone's unencrypted laptop gets snagged at an airport with thousands of non-anonymized customer profiles for debugging/testing purposes. Happens a lot.
  • One of the companies involved gets hacked. Happens all the time, and the good ones we don't even know about yet.
  • As hardware and software ages, companies will become less and less concerned with its security. When my potential 2019 is as old as my current 2011, Ford will not care one iota about updating its security.
I'd just really rather not have my car talk to the internet.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of things...like sell data about your movements and habits to advertisers; or hand it over to law enforcement. Or, lots of other things. For example, let’s say you are tuned and you are encountering some issues along the way, like throwing codes, clearing codes, flashing, clearing KAM, etc. If all of these events are being passed through the cellular modem (e.g., to generate messages in your Ford Pass app), then your chances of getting your warranty voided (regardless of whether it is actually justified) just increased substantially.

I enjoy the tech and have all this crap enabled, but I’m under no illusions about the privacy I am giving up in the process.

That's what I was thinking, possible warranty issues. I would think they would be able to get a log of thrown codes manually when you bring it in though, and would be able to tell if you used a tune without relying on the modem. I would have a conversation with the service mgr at the dealership about that before buying to get that question answered.