GEN 2 What else is in your garage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I've really enjoyed both cars! The 240i has been a great daily and I'm sure I will miss her!
Since you already have a Cayman you’ll forget bout the baby bimer REAL quick when you start DD’ing the Rappy

good taste btw

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those 240's still have the TT I-6? My mom had a 335i and it was a blast to drive. I drove a 135 and it was like a rocket powered go cart. I quickly decided I would either be dead or under the jail in that car
With the 240i they went to the B58 which is an I-6 with a single twin-scroll turbo. With just a piggy-back tune and an intake its putting out 365whp/400tq. It's about 3,500 lbs, not quite as small as the one series, but it goes! I really have learned to be judicious with the throttle in this car!

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sir! The Cayman has really spoiled me and I'm really looking forward to the change of pace with the Raptor!
You’ll love the Raptor, but you absolutely have to get a tune on it. In stock form, it’s a rather dull experience IMO.
I’m just now starting the BMW experience with my wife’s new 21 grocery getter, an X5 M50i and must say, wow! Love the TT V8EE21FBC9-C2C6-45F5-964C-B0BB766B068D.jpeg
As awesome as this car is though, I still prefer to drive my tuned Raptor, even though the BMW is (barely) faster.

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’ll love the Raptor, but you absolutely have to get a tune on it. In stock form, it’s a rather dull experience IMO.
I’m just now starting the BMW experience with my wife’s new 21 grocery getter, an X5 M50i and must say, wow! Love the TT V8View attachment 313622
As awesome as this car is though, I still prefer to drive my tuned Raptor, even though the BMW is (barely) faster.

oh yeah he is right about that….I won’t say the Raptor isn’t still an awesome DD w/o a tune- it is, running sport mode 4A w/ TC off….that was my fav stock configuration, the ride & stance are all there & it still has plenty of power in stock trim- running 93 octane alone on stock tune nets another 30whp give or take (proven)

but yeah….tuned these things are absurdly quick for their size & the mid range & especially top end is where you’ll notice. Around town w/ the 4.10 gears, 10 speed & boat loads of TQ it will pull hard by any definition…….depending how aggressive you go tunes can net between 50-75whp on these things…….maybe more, & it’s not just the extra hp/tq - it’s the refinement/smoothness of the transmission too

I have a Gearhead tune…they’re highly regarded for writing fairly “safe” tunes that REALLY dial in the tranny, MPT, Livernois, goosetuned (forum member) all very popular

enjoy!

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah he is right about that….I won’t say the Raptor isn’t still an awesome DD w/o a tune- it is, running sport mode 4A w/ TC off….that was my fav stock configuration,
I disagree with you here. The torque steer from being in 4A is a horrible feeling (to me) so I only use 4A in snow.
And now that mine is tuned, I never use sport mode anymore either as it likes to hang on to gears for way too long

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just now starting the BMW experience with my wife’s new 21 grocery getter, an X5 M50i and must say, wow! Love the TT V8
Congrats on the Bimmer! The MLites are seriously under appreciated for what you get. That is also high praise for the Raptor as BMW does motors and general GT driving characteristics pretty well. I think the likelihood of me tuning the Raptor is pretty good! The payoff in performance for a $1k investment in a turbo vehicle is just too great to pass up.

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah he is right about that….I won’t say the Raptor isn’t still an awesome DD w/o a tune- it is, running sport mode 4A w/ TC off….that was my fav stock configuration, the ride & stance are all there & it still has plenty of power in stock trim- running 93 octane alone on stock tune nets another 30whp give or take (proven)

but yeah….tuned these things are absurdly quick for their size & the mid range & especially top end is where you’ll notice. Around town w/ the 4.10 gears, 10 speed & boat loads of TQ it will pull hard by any definition…….depending how aggressive you go tunes can net between 50-75whp on these things…….maybe more, & it’s not just the extra hp/tq - it’s the refinement/smoothness of the transmission too

I have a Gearhead tune…they’re highly regarded for writing fairly “safe” tunes that REALLY dial in the tranny, MPT, Livernois, goosetuned (forum member) all very popular

enjoy!
Awesome, thanks for the advice and info! You had me absurdly quick, but I do appreciate the other advantages a tune will offer. I'll probably drive it stock for awhile, at least long enough for the new car excitement to die down, and then drop the tune in. I've perused a few tunes/tuners - any feeling on 5-Star and their power train warranty? One of the reasons I went with a Dinan tune on the 240i was the warranty they offered built-in (you definitely pay for it though!).

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Bimmer! The MLites are seriously under appreciated for what you get. That is also high praise for the Raptor as BMW does motors and general GT driving characteristics pretty well. I think the likelihood of me tuning the Raptor is pretty good! The payoff in performance for a $1k investment in a turbo vehicle is just too great to pass up.

Go with @GooseTuned and a stage 2 tune (including a FMIC) with TCM. It’s roughly $3k, but worth every penny.