GEN 1 What do you wish you didn’t do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a peddle commander. Worst mod ever ! Ended up returning it and was not even upset over a high restocking fee.... I was just elated to get rid of the piece of crap. It takes a few months but it eventually started to corrupt the onboard computer.

Is this Gen2 specific? I have heard stories, but mine on my Gen 1 is ****...so far.

Will eventually tune maybe but figured for $100 I’d try it. I like the quicker response, but if it’s going to **** shit up then I’ll ditch it.

What do you do when it ***** the computer? Reflash?

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running my pedal commander for years and coupled with a tune no less. Never a problem, works great, but I only use it when in soft sand on the beach. Which it comes in very useful there. Otherwise it was fun for all of a minute on the street.

Anyhow, I regret using the Raptor as a daily driver a few years back, and for not taking better care of the body. As much as I did mechanically. She’s gotten more than a few scratches, dings etc. parking on the street and in some tight garages. The truck’s just a weekend warrior now, and sooner or later I’ll get a re paint or paint corrections at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

Getting a light bar rack that only attached to the top of the bed rails. Bad decision if you take it off-road, tore my bed up.

17adf4e4d06afa2e7ff6c0bf752f6876.jpg

Bed supports that don’t go all the way across. Just the corner ones let my bed still spread and lifts the center instead.

two24studios

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mishimoto oil catch cans - preordered, received one can with in/out ports that weren't threaded, so I couldn't assemble everything. After getting that resolved, the instructions didn't align at all with my year truck (19), tubes that were bent in completely the wrong directions for how they needed to be installed, etc. Once I managed to sort this all out with them, the truck continually threw CELs until I removed it and it's never thrown an error since.

The one positive of this giant waste of time was they at least agreed to refund my money.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mishimoto oil catch cans - preordered, received one can with in/out ports that weren't threaded, so I couldn't assemble everything. After getting that resolved, the instructions didn't align at all with my year truck (19), tubes that were bent in completely the wrong directions for how they needed to be installed, etc. Once I managed to sort this all out with them, the truck continually threw CELs until I removed it and it's never thrown an error since.

The one positive of this giant waste of time was they at least agreed to refund my money.
I have had the same experience on other vehicles. I don’t know why as the manufacturer should’ve thought of this, but some catch cans will restrict PCV flow so much that they’ll be worse than stock and throw codes.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a peddle commander. Worst mod ever ! Ended up returning it and was not even upset over a high restocking fee.... I was just elated to get rid of the piece of crap. It takes a few months but it eventually started to corrupt the onboard computer.
Weird that it would corrupt your computer as all the pedal commander does is alter the sensor data going TO the ECU to essentially recalibrate your inputs. It doesn’t modify your ECU at all and your computer never sees abnormal data, it’s just seeing data that normally wouldn’t occur for a given set of inputs

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
- Mounting a light on the top/front of the cab. Light reflects off the dash and hood, making it harder to see than with it turned off. Looked cool though, which added 5HP during the day.

- Getting my RPG Raceline bumper without tabs for lights. Moved my bar from the top of the cab to the bumper and had to strip the bumper, weld tabs, and then powder coat again.

- Buying a Chinese light bar instead of BD, Rigid, or Vision-X. My 20" Rigid is brighter than my 52" no-name bar.

- Also, long tube headers. As @Ruckus08 said, just expensive and completely not worth it. Actually, my motor mount bolt backed out, motor shifted enough to smash the header into the frame, and now my truck is at the shop going back to stock manifolds.

- I'm not sure it was a mod, but I really regret topping my break fluid off with ATF.....that was an expensive, bone-headed "mod". I had just swapped out my steering rack and just wasn't paying attention when I went to bleed the power steering.

I was just telling my buddy about the first thing today. He wanted to do that light bar setup on his 2020 TRD Pro Tundra. I told him he's apparently never actually driven a vehicle with that light setup. It reflects so bad off the windshield and hood and dash that it's better with it off. Destroys your night vision.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine with a sunroof. At the time it was my daily and thought the benefit was worth it, especially working in a steel mill. More airflow after a summer shift was appealing. Now it is no longer my daily and I haven't opened it in 3 years. I am too afraid to break a track in doing so. Also concerned with water leaking and causing rusting issues, breaking the glass off-road, and some unknowing passenger now trying to open it.

It was nice for a couple years but now it is dumb. Wish I never got it.