What Do You Use Your Fogs For?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheInfamousDrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently installed a set of Rigid Radiance 2xScene 1xRadiance fogs and love the look of them.
What I don't like it the beam patterns. These are obviously too bright to use while driving.

Even then standard Radiance is a flood and too much upward light output.

So my question is....what does everyone actually use their fog lights for?

I'm thinking of swapping out a set for some SAE yellow pods but then I would lose the uniformity of the amber backlights.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have two pair of fog lights - one amber, one white.
Both sets are halogen, as they get warm enough to be self-defrosting and shed frozen gunk before it accumulates enough to render them useless.
I use them for fog.
I despise drivers who run fog lights when there is no fog, and I can't tell you what I think of drivers who use fog lights as DRLs.

OP
OP
TheInfamousDrew

TheInfamousDrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol yes I agree.

So to me, these are worthless for fog lights. They’re too bright with a full flood pattern.
It’s just like turning your high beams on in the fog, too much light refracting off the moisture in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since mine is honestly used 95% on road, I went with this set-up:

2017+ Ford Raptor Triple Fog Light Kit (w/Baja Designs Lights)
(1st Pair Choice: Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering (+$60), 2nd Pair Choice: Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering Amber (+$55), 3rd Pair Choice: Squadron Pro, Driving/Combo (+$140))

So, I got two sets of SAE (one white and one amber). I like using the amber at night and the white as additional DRL during the day. With all the horrible distracted drivers on the road, I figure another set of DRL's isn't bad and I think the ambers look cool at night. The Squadron Pro I only use in dark areas with no oncoming traffic to light up the night.

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost never unfortunately. Mine are SAE but my bumper cutouts don't let them be aimed low enough for me to be super comfortable driving around the city. On highway drives they are somewhat useful as they are aimed wide to highlight deer, elk or horses and the cutoff is okay for wide medians and low traffic roads. And off road I have a few LP6s now that make those fogs pretty insignificant.

Also in snow they get covered, and I need to find some de-icing solution to prevent that.

20210213_182538.jpg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whenever we sell customers a Triple Fog Light kit, we always have a conversation with them about their intended use.

Are you going off-road, staying on the streets, want a mix of both?

We allow customers to customize which lights go in their kits so that they get exactly what they want.

We offer kits here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicl...2017-2018-f-150-raptor/triple-fog-light-kits/

And the Baja Designs kits are by far the most popular.

What I always recommend to folks who want street use AND some off-road use is

1x Set of Squadron SAE. These are good for fog use (you don't want the brightest thing on the planet for fog use)
1x Set of Squadron Driving/Combo. This combines a spot and a wide cornering pattern, so you throw light down range and wide. A good over-all light when you are off-roading OR by yourself on the road

And the 3rd set can either be

1x Set of Squadron SAE in amber... for those who want a street legal light but in amber (which is actually a yellow output). Good for bad weather.
OR
1x Set of Squadron in W/C amber. THe wide cornering is good to light things up nice and wide and that amber color (yellow) is good for bad weather. You can use the WC on the roads IF you aim them down properly (our brackets that we make here in the USA allow you to aim your lights properly)

What do I PERSONALLY run... well

1x Set of Squadron Pro WC (Wide Cornering)
1x Set of Squadron Pro DC (Driving/Combo)
1x Set of Squadron Pro WC Amber (Wide Cornering)

I've got my lights aimed down low at the ground and I honestly DON'T run them on public roads. I have Morimoto XB LED Headlights (2nd gen) which throw out PLENTY of light where I am. If I need more light when i'm alone, I turn the other lights on. I've also got my W/C ambers aimed REALLY low, so I do use those when it's snowing or raining.

Here is a shot showing you what I mean by how I have the ambers aimed down low to avoid blinding anybody:

:.jpg

You can see how I also aimed my white ones down low a bit for the same purpose, but as I said, i don't run them on the road really anymore. Just the ambers when I need to. The rest are for off-roading.

When it comes to Rigid, you've got similar ideas in mind with their patterns.

If you are thinking about selling your kit and going with a new kit, shoot me a message/call me/text me/email me. I'll help ya get situated.

Here is what my truck looks like, so you can see I have a LOT of lights on

131171657_10218727761080568_8827396655660020049_o.jpg

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have two pair of fog lights - one amber, one white.
Both sets are halogen, as they get warm enough to be self-defrosting and shed frozen gunk before it accumulates enough to render them useless.
I use them for fog.
I despise drivers who run fog lights when there is no fog, and I can't tell you what I think of drivers who use fog lights as DRLs.

What's wrong with SAE fogs on the street? Or are you talking about the non SAE?

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
I have the s1 in wide cornering on during normal driving as I find the stock headlights to be a bit dim. They are aimed lower so I don’t blind anyone.

A462B9BC-8998-4A8F-9459-8038F942D6DD.jpeg

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use ambers most often in lower visibility conditions and they seem to reflect less in precipitation.

I use my wide fogs late at night/ early morning darkness on county roads.

I use either wide fogs or spot lights for driving through fields in darkness and setting up hunting blinds.