What do you think of skip-shifting?

Do you like Skip-Shift in Normal drive mode?

• Love it - wouldn't run a TCM map without it

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Hate it - wouldn't run a TCM map with it

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • No strong opinion

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • Too frequently airborne in my Raptor to recall how the trans. shifts

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm went from a '17 Tacoma AT to a '19 Raptor and for me the 6spd auto in the Tacoma was absolutely horrendous. It was the reason I decided to get rid of it for the Raptor. No power down low and shifted like absolute crap. For me the '19 in normal mode is really smooth and I hardly notice it shifting. The only real complaint I have is how it likes to get up to 8-10th gear around town pretty quick under 50mph. When you need the gas it takes a second to get where it needs to be but for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. Sport mode on the other hand shifts pretty hard. In my opinion, Normal mode should hang on to gears a little longer and respond to peddle input a little bit quicker while maintaining gear skip. Sport mode I think should be smoothed out with less violent shifts. I understand it is supposed to shift fast and cycle thru the gears but its shifts way to hard to my liking. Almost feels like a a dog box.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone's a critique....So how would you have engineered the shift logic?....So the engineers program the trans to get to top gear pretty much as soon as possible...for mileage and emissions...but some just can't understand and think the trans sucks...But wait...the engineers give owners an alternative..you can actually shift for your self as you pretty much see fit....but wait that's not good enough..."this shift is too hard....this shift is too soft...."

I sound pretty arrogant (my bad...)but maybe that's because for MANY owners the trans is working fine...as I've stated before I've got over 1,000 desert miles and all manual shifting...mine is now shifting good, fast and right away when hitting the paddles...

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone's a critique....So how would you have engineered the shift logic?....So the engineers program the trans to get to top gear pretty much as soon as possible...for mileage and emissions...but some just can't understand and think the trans sucks...But wait...the engineers give owners an alternative..you can actually shift for your self as you pretty much see fit....but wait that's not good enough..."this shift is too hard....this shift is too soft...."

I sound pretty arrogant (my bad...)but maybe that's because for MANY owners the trans is working fine...as I've stated before I've got over 1,000 desert miles and all manual shifting...mine is now shifting good, fast and right away when hitting the paddles...
I hear you and agree for my limited experience with this truck but if the internet had no hyperbole and no complaining it would just be **** and questions that the owners or service manual would answer.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is just the nature of online forums and humans in general, even before the Net was born, they tend to be vocal when displeased and quiet when content, quicker to complain than to praise. The people who are happy with the transmission are not bothering to post to these kinds of threads, so you mostly hear gripes. And it is natural that no mechanical thing can make everyone happy, so some people will always have a complaint.

Today I am pretty pleased with the transmission and how it shifts in my 2018, but if you had asked before the trans reflash I would have said I am mostly happy, but there are a few annoying things, like the harsh downshifts at highway speed or the hard, sometimes jolting, shifts from 4 to 5 even in Normal mode.

By the way, want a sporty shift and only 6 speeds? If you don't want to use Manual try Baja mode, and manually select 2H. It holds gears much longer even than Sport, shifts rather firmly, and unless you are doing 85 or so seldom gets above 6th gear. Cruising at highway speeds and setting the cruise control still results in it staying in 6th or maybe 7th. Of course, you do pay for the pleasure in the form of mileage.

I have easily in excess of 3500 desert miles on mine (probably over 4500), but I tend to be pretty gentle off road, for example I have never, intentionally, gotten the truck airborne. And most of my off road / desert driving is a sedate cruise intent on going to places that are hard to get to, rather than driving off-road for the sake of spirited driving.

T!

Last edited:

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t mind the oem shifting in either normal or sport mode. I only ran it in Baja mode for around 100 miles off-road. Today in normal mode my transmission hit every gear without any skipping while I was easy on the go pedal. I will be very impressed if Cobb can improve on factory shift points!! We have many modes all with different characteristics. I wish this truck came with a REAL manual transmission!! I’m sure all the pansies that do most of the complaining can’t even drive standards.

borzraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Paddles aren't responsive enough to use around town and in scenarios where you run through gears pretty fast - this right here is another issue. They could take note from the Germans that have an almost instant paddle response even in lower end cars like the Golf.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Paddles aren't responsive enough to use around town and in scenarios where you run through gears pretty fast

yeah...noticed they were a little sluggish when truck was new, but mine shift pretty quick now and think it's because of the adaptive learn feature (have hundreds of manual shifts now)...I know it's hard to believe but they and the rocker switch on the shift knob are working pretty good for me...

london blues

Reaction score
if I already have a cobb stage 1+, when you DO come out with the trans tune, will I be able to simply download it?