What do you think of skip-shifting?

Do you like Skip-Shift in Normal drive mode?

• Love it - wouldn't run a TCM map without it

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Hate it - wouldn't run a TCM map with it

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • No strong opinion

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • Too frequently airborne in my Raptor to recall how the trans. shifts

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam0311

Reaction score
If the skip shift is responsible for the significant shift lag when my truck is cold...then I freaking hate it. Otherwise, when the truck is worm I don’t really notice it.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

I would be indifferent to skip shifts if they met the following criteria:
1. No compromise in acceleration unless there is a noticeable fuel economy impact or functional reason to skip shift like improved transmission lifespan then it should be a selectable option.
2. The skip shifting has to be seamless. My biggest issue with it now is that the shifting sensation is noticeably different and not as smooth in my case. In other words I wouldn’t want to be able to tell it’s skip shifting without watching the gear indicator.

Pretty much agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I had Ford reflash the transmission (mine is a mid year 2018), if I am in Normal and I do not look at the dash gear position indicator I often cannot tell it is skip shifting. Under light to moderate acceleration I simply cannot tell the difference seat of the pants. Prior to the reflash it was very obvious and occasionally annoying.

In any other more aggressive mode I would not want it to do so. My most used non-Normal mode is Baja (and manually select 2H unless I need 4WD) or Sport. A good portion of the time I am in Sport I use Manual, but I often leave Baja in Auto.

T!

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the skip shift just worked faster it would be ok. But I can't stand how long shifts take when skipping.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Around town just going with the flow, yes skip shift..why do you need to hit every single gear?

Feeling randy?...go with manual shifting

Many have complained about the skip shift...just chill out and use Tow Mode...

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok bit of a n00b here. Does it skip shift in normal? And not in sport? Where is the gear indicator? I’ve only had my truck about 2 weeks, never used anything but normal and weather modes until today. I kinda just let it do what it does. I’m not really used to automatic transmissions or vehicles newer than 2005 tbh lol

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what does it skip? Even numbers under light load or something? Why would you want it to shift 8-10 times if it doesn’t need to?