What do you think? Advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RdW

Reaction score
Hi All!! I have been lurking here for awhile but this is my first post. My situation is this.... I have have a Raptor on deposit and the first inline. The rural dealer I chose agreed to written terms below MSRP with a 1k deposit about 2 months ago. All the usual questions were asked and they were fully vetted by TRX forums as well. I had been bugging the owner as to how many allocations they had and he blamed no info on the Ford rep. Best I got was they got Raptors in the past. Seems you'll know much more =) We all found out last week out their entire region got 7 and they had 0. I called Ford Corp and the dealship owner on FRI and they both confirmed an order without an allocation would be built, just when is the questtion. No doubt this will be a 22. So my question is.... how long is too long to wait if I don't move on? I can cash out now on the deposit or wait a year or more maybe and still not have one. If I cancel in 10-12 months, I forfeit the 1k and the dealersaid basically said they would be pissed. What is a reasonalbe time to agree on? thank you.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Waiting a year is BS, if you have paperwork saying you will have a Raptor in 6 months, that would be my max. I doubt you will get one without paying a larger ADM with the way the market is, until next summer. I’m not a fortune teller though.

JTN

Reaction score
How long can you wait to get your $1,000 back? Could you keep it as a backup while you go hunting for something more solid?

OP
OP
R

RdW

Reaction score
I was hoping to finally put the details to rest and place the order once I know how long the dealer and I can agree on time wise. We have not determined a point of no return for the deposit. I would hate to be 10 months out and still not know. The dilemma is leaving a #1 on no allocation to another store for more money and no allocation yet too. I called around and the ones I called say they are spoken for. The savings are what’s keeping me at this dealer on hopes that the truck will be built.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All depends on your needs and wants for a new Raptor. I was fortunate enough to get my order in on a my21. But if my dealer told me it would take 6 to 9 months, I would wait. I think beyond 9 months might be pushing it for me. It takes my wife 9 months to make one of our kids. I'm pretty sure Ford should be able to make a Raptor for you in 9 months or less.
All kidding aside how long can you hold out for a new vehicle. I reserved a Bronco last year and still haven't received it. But my current vehicle will hold me until the new one arrives.

OP
OP
R

RdW

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses... Ha kids are def a game changer. I’d say if I cant have one close to in my drive next May June I’d possibly hit my limit. I’ll get in touch with the dealer tomorrow and make sure we are on the same page.

KCHawkeye02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the dealer mention what would happen to your '21 order if the '22 model has a slight price adjustment or the color you picked is no longer available? ie would they have to resubmit or just modify the current order? I would want the opposite on the deposit strategy. Non-refundable now until EOY would be fine due to the market and you getting a good price. Then come 1/1/2022, with a MY2022, the deposit turns into refundable because you might get sick of waiting, and other dealers may start to have allocation and be willing to price match, or best case, beat it a little.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would at least hold onto this deal until September. when the '22 orders are supposed to open up. If Ford and your dealer is promising you a truck when the dealer has no allocations, it stands to reason that your dealer will get at least one allocation when the new MY opens. If you don't get more info then, then it would be a good time to press for a more concrete timeframe.

I assume this dealer just doesn't sell many Raptors or high price vehicles in general, and is more interested in a long term customers than profits off a single purchase.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Honestly, it sounds to me like the stealership has gotten greedy, and realized they’re going to lose about $5-7k on the deal by not at least going MSRP or 1-3k over with ADM. If you have an under MSRP agreed upon price, in writing, I’d hold on to it for as long as feasible.

So, we know that brokers will trade off trucks between stealerships, and there’s no reason this stealership couldn’t work with a stealership with an allocation to trade off something to an allocation rich stealership to make your purchase happen. My wife did this with a Nissan, the buying stealership found one, got it for her and produced it for her to purchase at the agreed upon price.

While the Stealerships will sell all of the Raptors produced, in addition to customer pre-orders, stealership pre-orders will hit the ground first. These will be mostly loaded trucks, with very, very few exceptions. They’ll be viewable on the Ford site via inventory search. You could have your stealership work out a deal with the receiving stealership if you find one that is a good match. Unless you’re ordering either and oddball combination, OR, you’re ordering a truck without a moonroof, you’ll likely find stealership inventory truck -before- customer order trucks are ready.