What do you run for Tire Pressure on/off road???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18-20 in the sand is no problem. The guy i was with was driving much harder doing brodies even in heavy sand and didn't have any tire problems.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18-20 in the sand is no problem. The guy i was with was driving much harder doing brodies even in heavy sand and didn't have any tire problems.
are you talking about our trip to the oregon dunes?

i normally run 20psi in the sand when having fun. and since i have onboard air, if i get stuck, i will air down to 10-12 psi to get unstuck, and then air back up to 20 once im out. but knowing when you are about to get stuck is the important part.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I was just the silver lake last weekend with @dkfc13 and I started at 25 and although not getting stuck, it wasn't doin toooo well, went to about 18-20 and it did a bit better. I ran pretty hard, doing 70ish thru exit hill whoops and sideways after that section to go back around and no bead problems. The stock suspension on the other hand.....

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you talking about our trip to the oregon dunes?

i normally run 20psi in the sand when having fun. and since i have onboard air, if i get stuck, i will air down to 10-12 psi to get unstuck, and then air back up to 20 once im out. but knowing when you are about to get stuck is the important part.

For clarification it was the disco raptor that didn't rip a bead off at 20 PSI :crazy:

DCSVT1

Reaction score
Tire Pressure - Stock tires

I did a search but nothing came up. What tire pressure are you running while driving on the road? Ford put new BFG’s (stock I assume) on when I bought the truck and they are @ 44psi. I think the ride is a little hard and I can feel every crack in the road. It’s also not that great in the rain and likes to break loose at lights and slide on corners. I haven’t had it long enough to experiment with different pressures but I know from experience with my last F150, a pound or 2 either way can make a big difference. Just curious what others are running. Personally I’m not a fan of the BFG tires, I tried a set on my last truck and in less than a year I got rid of them for similar reasons; poor ride and wet performance. When these are shot I’ll be going to Good Year.
Edit to add; I test drove several and they all seemed to ride differently with the same tires so I assume it's the tire pressure.

D

Deleted member 12951

Tire Pressure - Stock tires

I've always run 44psi on the road, lower when off-road. Some drop it down to 40psi. Might try that and see if you like it any better. That usually will not set the TPMS light on.

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
I have done a lot of experimenting and I personally like 40 in rear and 42 in the front. I think 44 will give you uneven tire wear (more in the middle then the sides). I have tried 40 in the front with no noticeable difference due to the added weight over the rear. Every truck will be different. This is what I like in my truck.

GabAlmighty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looks like 20 is the magic number for not blowing a bead. Any difference between sand and dirt/logging roads? I've never run sand before and our logging road out here are a little... different, than what's down south there. I'm used to running about 10 once I hit dirt but I think i'll still start at 20 and see how she goes.

No more airing down to 3psi I guess... Sometimes I miss my Yota.