What do you carry within the payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either Deavers for $1500 or a regular tent for <$100.

I kinda went through this calculus a year ago when deciding how to overland my Raptor. RTTs were heavy, and expensive, and they're with you all the time. So I asked myself, what is the benefit of a RTT? And I came up with: 1. It sets up fast. 2. It's allegedly more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

When I overland I'm not usually on a tight schedule. I've usually got literally nothing to do. So speed of setup isn't a big issue for me. And sleeping on the ground isn't a big deal to me. So we just keep rolling with the normal, excellent tent we've got.

Nothing against people with RTTs. If I had the payload and the money and my Raptor wasn't my daily, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I think it's important to remember, you can camp just fine and have incredible experiences sleeping in a normal, non-RTT. RTTs aren't a requirement for having big adventures.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
350 lbs for a RTT? Must be a doozy?

My breakdown is 150 lbs for retrax pro xr and overhaul HD rack.
200 lb tent
100 lbs food, fridge cooler and water (sometimes more for extended trips)
100-150 lbs gear.
50 lbs aux battery soon to be 27.
50 lbs misc.

700 on a bigger trip, 500-550 when travelling lighter and faster.

Sometimes if mostly focused on the driving just go old school 2 man tent, minimal gear, and recovery gear.

I camp on rooty, rocky, and muddy ground so the RTT is worth the weight penalty. A lot of rain up here so the option to either set up the annex or stand under it is nice. Sometimes on non 'overlanding' trips I bring the awning and it has a room that clips on. In fact, sometimes I just run the awning and room and leave the tent behind. I purposefully went with a modular approach so I could suit the gear to the trip.

w4Qlp64FJB2XelHGFXr4UJrIJ=w1265-h949-no?authuser=0.jpg