What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks great. What tires did you have before and how do they compare?
I had the stock BFG’s on and have only driven 5miles. The Nittos balanced a lot easier then the BFG’s did and you can tell, also the Recons are quieter and handle better plus seem to ride a lot better. I had them put 38psi in all 4 to start with and will adjust accordingly once I get more miles on them.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An E rated 35/12.5/17 tire at 67lbs? Interesting.
Yes. I haven’t found any bad reviews on the Recons and I like the weight. I was going to get the Mickey Baja Boss AT’s but they are back ordered 14 weeks.

I was told Nitto took everything they learned from the Ridge Grapplers and made the new Recon.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the car top out at 70mph maybe? Lol
It was a bit faster than 70, about 95 +/- after a few mods like a big 2-bbl Ford carb from a truck engine mounted on a “custom” sheet metal adapter. The key to winning on short tracks(ie, the street!) was/is the first 60-100ft.

When I finally broke it beyond my finances to keep it up I had serious money into it. Crank, rods, pistons, camshaft, head/valve work, etc. I launched and shifted at (4 spd Muncie) 8,000 rpm. It would yank the wheels off the ground and run 8.1 in 1/8 mile. Not real quick by todays standards but back then it was a badass street car and unique among the V8 goons.

I won a LOT of street races, but broke everything in the driveline, 12” clutch exploded (had a Lakewood housing so no injury), trans sheared gears, differential spider gears (welded solid 10-bolt) about 6 times including one crankshaft cracked across #6 rod journal while figuring out the harmonics/twist ratio of the really long, 7-main bearing crankshaft.

Only one internal engine failure, but it was absolutely devastating. A total loss of the entire engine caused by a single dropped exhaust valve at 8000 rpm, #4 cylinder..Rod collapsed and broke mid-length. The remainder spun around and cut the camshaft which shattered into several pieces that took out everything inside the block and blasted a giant hole through the block, dumping all the oil out in less than a second. The Offenhauser 4bbl intake and ****** headers survived, but it was over for me and the 67! I didn’t crash, but the event pushed my motivation into the toilet such that I sold the car and everything I had for it.

I spent a LOT of money (I burned all the receipts when it passed $10k and kept going) and broke a LOT of parts, but it was like a college education for me. People skills, mechanical knowledge/ability, studying/research for parts that would fit and perform, history/tracking of every piece/part of the car. Most of what I learned then (still in high school!) also applies today, so it wasn’t wasted money, nor was it wasted time.

Shortly (~4 days) after the big blowup event I was moping around on the CB radio and first met a beautiful young(!) girl who is my wife of 44 years now.

Oh well, sorry such a long post, but that took me down memory lane!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It was a bit faster than 70, about 95 +/- after a few mods like a big 2-bbl Ford carb from a truck engine mounted on a “custom” sheet metal adapter. The key to winning on short tracks(ie, the street!) was/is the first 60-100ft.

When I finally broke it beyond my finances to keep it up I had serious money into it. Crank, rods, pistons, camshaft, head/valve work, etc. I launched and shifted at (4 spd Muncie) 8,000 rpm. It would yank the wheels off the ground and run 8.1 in 1/8 mile. Not real quick by todays standards but back then it was a badass street car and unique among the V8 goons.

I won a LOT of street races, but broke everything in the driveline, 12” clutch exploded (had a Lakewood housing so no injury), trans sheared gears, differential spider gears (welded solid 10-bolt) about 6 times including one crankshaft cracked across #6 rod journal while figuring out the harmonics/twist ratio of the really long, 7-main bearing crankshaft.

Only one internal engine failure, but it was absolutely devastating. A total loss of the entire engine caused by a single dropped exhaust valve at 8000 rpm, #4 cylinder..Rod collapsed and broke mid-length. The remainder spun around and cut the camshaft which shattered into several pieces that took out everything inside the block and blasted a giant hole through the block, dumping all the oil out in less than a second. The Offenhauser 4bbl intake and ****** headers survived, but it was over for me and the 67! I didn’t crash, but the event pushed my motivation into the toilet such that I sold the car and everything I had for it.

I spent a LOT of money (I burned all the receipts when it passed $10k and kept going) and broke a LOT of parts, but it was like a college education for me. People skills, mechanical knowledge/ability, studying/research for parts that would fit and perform, history/tracking of every piece/part of the car. Most of what I learned then (still in high school!) also applies today, so it wasn’t wasted money, nor was it wasted time.

Shortly (~4 days) after the big blowup event I was moping around on the CB radio and first met a beautiful young(!) girl who is my wife of 44 years now.

Damn, you're too old to riding that motorsickle.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Well that motor had a lot more to it than I initially thought. Quite a run it had too.

So does the Raptor bring you closer back to that car as well? What about beating out V8’s ? Lol

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that motor had a lot more to it than I initially thought. Quite a run it had too.

So does the Raptor bring you closer back to that car as well? What about beating out V8’s ? Lol
Yep it does. Along with my V6 Explorer ST (tuned on 93 & E50, ran a 12.1@ 113 on my second pass in the car!