What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO wipe the inside of the rear diff. Stone or sand the mating surface.

If you’re putting the Spicer/FP cover on the magnetic plug will attract any metal particles.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
for those guys who have changed out their rear diff covers quick question. I've been researching whether or not to degrease/ use brake cleaner on the gears when changing out the covers. Some do and some don't. Some say just wipe out the sludge if any and move on while others say to clean the gears. looking for opinions here as I'm doing my cover replacement this week end. Thanks in advance

I just did mine this weekend. It was extremely clean @32,*** miles. The old gasket came off in one peace and there was very little on the diff itself.

Inside there was very little sludge. I just sprayed down the outer rim, did not spray inside or on the gears themselves.

My worst issue was a torque wrench malfunction. I snapped a bolt off because i accidentally moved the wrench our to 90 pounds. Thankfully, i had an extra and the stud was able to be backed out.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my first oil change today. All went well except for when I removed the filter, oil didn't drain where I expected it to, so I made a small mess. I was under the impression that the drain plug was a plastic quarter turn thing. Was a normal drain plug thankfully. I don't know if it was necessary, but I removed the entire skid plate under the transmission. Washed and waxed the truck too.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my first oil change today. All went well except for when I removed the filter, oil didn't drain where I expected it to, so I made a small mess. I was under the impression that the drain plug was a plastic quarter turn thing. Was a normal drain plug thankfully. I don't know if it was necessary, but I removed the entire skid plate under the transmission. Washed and waxed the truck too.

If the gen 2 is like the gen 1, just loosen the filter but do not remove completely and let it drain out the little drain trough. Then remove the filter once it has drained out.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the gen 2 is like the gen 1, just loosen the filter but do not remove completely and let it drain out the little drain trough. Then remove the filter once it has drained out.
That's what I always do, but the trough also runs down the backside of the crossmember, and that's where the oil came out. I was expecting it to come down the front like the gen1, so it got me, lol