What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 1st pic shows how LEDs in the stock F150 plate light housings illuminate the tailgate.
The 2nd pic shows my truck with Super Duty plate light housings and 56 lumens LEDs

Stage_3_2017_Flagstaff_Trip_217.jpg

SAM_0761.JPG

erolivas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1st pic shows how LEDs in the stock F150 plate light housings illuminate the tailgate.
The 2nd pic shows my truck with Super Duty plate light housings and 56 lumens LEDs

Stage_3_2017_Flagstaff_Trip_217.jpg

View attachment 118824

How much modding to the bumper cover? I have a ADD rear Stealth Fighter bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The holes on the stock bumper pad need to be enlarged a little for the Super Duty housings to fit.
The pic below shows one side done.

Modified.jpg

erolivas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The holes on the stock bumper pad need to be enlarged a little for the Super Duty housings to fit.
The pic below shows one side done.

View attachment 118831

Thanks for the picture. The cutouts in the ADD rear bumper might be ok without any modification. I hope so[emoji1696]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's an extensive post located here on the F150 forum about the swap. There's a little bit of trimming of the F250 housing and the cutout in our bumper cover. But it does address how upgrading to LEDs washes out the backup camera at night. I think this is the real reason why Ford didn't put LEDs and stuck with halogen. Cheaper to put lower lumen bulb in than to redesign/retool the bumper cover for all F150s. The added benefit is that the F250 housing comes with LEDs but you're in for about $25 for each side which is considerably more than swapping out just the bulbs. Plus, as mentioned, there's a bit of modding of the housing and bumper cover which a lot of people don't like to get into.

I ordered the parts on Friday and they should be here on Monday. Hopefully I'll have some time early next week and I'll post pictures on this thread. I already have taken the before pictures that show how the light casts up toward the camera due to the housing angle (or lack there of).
Did this to mine, it does keep the lights from shining up the tailgate like LED bulbs in factory housing does. Just gotta be patient. I couldn’t figure out why Ford didn’t put LED’s in the license plate lights.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this to mine, it does keep the lights from shining up the tailgate like LED bulbs in factory housing does. Just gotta be patient. I couldn’t figure out why Ford didn’t put LED’s in the license plate lights.

From eliminating the light wash on the tailgate, does the SD rear bumper light swap mod actually improve visibility through the rear camera at night while backing up? If so, how much. I've seen a few pics but its hard to tell from them and would appreciate "review" from someone who's done it.