What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL the Raptor is just the down payment for your mods. Lots of folks here with 12-20k into their suspension.

Absolutely absurd. Why buy the raptor with his amazing FOX suspension and then rip it out? You might as well buy a salvaged raptor....or one with suspension damage.

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of money compared to other kits. For instance, you could have gotten SVC's mid travel kit for what you paid for the ICON stage 4 kit and powdercoating, and you would have upgraded tierods, LCA, spindles, and front coilovers plus bypass shocks.

I totally agree with you, and based on recommendations I went with this kit to keep it as stock as I can in terms of drivability.
I use the truck to go to work and our parking sucks I didn’t want to go any wider. Once I get a smaller car for I am definitely selling the kit and going mid travel, fenders and 37’s.
But let’s be honest here this game never ends.
What’s next !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I totally agree with you, and based on recommendations I went with this kit to keep it as stock as I can in terms of drivability.
I use the truck to go to work and our parking sucks I didn’t want to go any wider. Once I get a smaller car for I am definitely selling the kit and going mid travel, fenders and 37’s.
But let’s be honest here this game never ends.
What’s next !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in all honesty, If I had to do it over again, I would have simply ordered the entire icon kit, done +2 fenders and bedsides and driven the hell out of my truck.

I'm too far into the build to change direction now, but that Icon kit gives you the most functionality with the least amount of required supporting changes. I see the icon equipped trucks' drivers have tons of fun int he dirt, without having to stop and fix things ( which is the nature of the beast when you modify a truck in more extreme ways.)

No, you won't be able to keep pace with me, but if we're on a run, we're all ending up in the same place.

I can go probably 30-40% faster than you, but it is also much harder to find my truck's limits, so I'm usually risking a break. The icon trucks kind of let the driver know where the limit is and if you listen to the truck, it'll be smooth sailing.

to each their own, but I probably should have done the icon kit, then bought a used, linked badass full pre-runner for serious play time.

the only thing i will say as a negative to the icon parts is, i literally destroyed the leaf springs within 500 miles. The way the military wrap is on their springs doesnt make sense to me. I ended up going back to deavers.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of money compared to other kits. For instance, you could have gotten SVC's mid travel kit for what you paid for the ICON stage 4 kit and powdercoating, and you would have upgraded tierods, LCA, spindles, and front coilovers plus bypass shocks.

you are quite the comedian.

All in on an SVC mid-travel front kit with all the trimmings, you're at about 15.5K with 3.5" bypasses.

That doesn't count install or anything else, just the parts.

A normal bedcage and 4.0 setup with leaf springs, bumps and traction bars is roughly 12K without install.

Then you're gonna need glass, to the tune of let's say $1500. again before install.

You could choose to leave the rear stock width, but if not, it is $3500 or so to have your rear axle widened. or 6-7 ish for a middle of the road currie.

So, that 12K doesn't seem so bad now does it? at least compared to the $40K ( if you get a buddy deal on install/labor or do it yourself) to "do it properly" it doesn't.

to be clear, I've already done all of this and a lot more. I don't regret it as soon as I'm behind the wheel of my truck in the dirt. I wouldn't choose a different mid-travel kit, I wouldn't choose a different shop to work with.

I would have contracted someone to make a 1 piece front end from the start had I known what I know now.

D

Deleted member 17706

you are quite the comedian.

All in on an SVC mid-travel front kit with all the trimmings, you're at about 15.5K with 3.5" bypasses.

That doesn't count install or anything else, just the parts.

A normal bedcage and 4.0 setup with leaf springs, bumps and traction bars is roughly 12K without install.

Then you're gonna need glass, to the tune of let's say $1500. again before install.

You could choose to leave the rear stock width, but if not, it is $3500 or so to have your rear axle widened. or 6-7 ish for a middle of the road currie.

So, that 12K doesn't seem so bad now does it? at least compared to the $40K ( if you get a buddy deal on install/labor or do it yourself) to "do it properly" it doesn't.

to be clear, I've already done all of this and a lot more. I don't regret it as soon as I'm behind the wheel of my truck in the dirt. I wouldn't choose a different mid-travel kit, I wouldn't choose a different shop to work with.

I would have contracted someone to make a 1 piece front end from the start had I known what I know now.

Nothing I said is/was funny, so I don’t know why you are calling me a comedian. All the parts that I listed was for the SVC front mid travel kit. Again, the cost for that kit is about on par with what @Rednose paid for his ICON set up. I wasn’t insinuating that the SVC front mid travel kit includes the rear suspension—which is why I made no reference about the rear suspension. Yes, it costs more money to do the SVC kit, but it is better to bite the bullet upfront rather than buy something only to take it all off and replace it with something else—good way to waste money and time.

I have a Rogue suspension on my truck. Do I have as much money as you do into my truck? No, but that doesn’t make me an idiot.

D

Deleted member 17706

in all honesty, If I had to do it over again, I would have simply ordered the entire icon kit, done +2 fenders and bedsides and driven the hell out of my truck.

I'm too far into the build to change direction now, but that Icon kit gives you the most functionality with the least amount of required supporting changes. I see the icon equipped trucks' drivers have tons of fun int he dirt, without having to stop and fix things ( which is the nature of the beast when you modify a truck in more extreme ways.)

No, you won't be able to keep pace with me, but if we're on a run, we're all ending up in the same place.

I can go probably 30-40% faster than you, but it is also much harder to find my truck's limits, so I'm usually risking a break. The icon trucks kind of let the driver know where the limit is and if you listen to the truck, it'll be smooth sailing.

to each their own, but I probably should have done the icon kit, then bought a used, linked badass full pre-runner for serious play time.

the only thing i will say as a negative to the icon parts is, i literally destroyed the leaf springs within 500 miles. The way the military wrap is on their springs doesnt make sense to me. I ended up going back to deavers.

I think the above is well said. The difference between what you have spent on your vehicle and what I have spent is vast. The performance between our trucks is not as vast as the money spent. Sure, you can hit things quicker than me, and will be able to come out of holes better than me, but you and I will still get to where we need to go. When going to Baja and other places, we are not in a race. We are just trying to have a good time and enjoy our trucks.