What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbdurham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed E&G console gun safe and a saber south magnet (just 3m tape for now until I decide if I like it and the location) love the safe installed in less than an hour and still have use of my tray and half my console!

Will post pics later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 124485 Put on BFG KM3 35x12.5r17. Overall, the tires absorb bumps better and ride softer on and off the road. Amazingly, they ride just as smooth, but definitely howl more than the KO2 (not significant but noticeable). Off-road they simply have more grip, bite harder and don’t slide as much.

Love the look of that tire. I see they are about 10#'s heavier than the stock tires. Have you noticed any difference in performance or fuel mileage?

Did you do the 35' instead of the 315's for any reason?

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93DE7A78-0E0C-49BC-82BD-9893000E11F1.jpeg 37490D66-E79B-4E34-9D9B-2A11D15AA654.jpeg
Love the look of that tire. I see they are about 10#'s heavier than the stock tires. Have you noticed any difference in performance or fuel mileage?

Did you do the 35' instead of the 315's for any reason?

Yeah, weight is 74.25 lbs vs 64.4 lbs. Can notice it takes a bit more effort to accelerate and stop (very minor, but there). No report yet on fuel mileage, but fully expect to lose about 1 mpg. Pros and cons vs stock KO2:

Pros:
Softer ride
Absorbs imperfections better (on and off road)
More traction off road
Stronger sidewalls (coreguard max KM3 vs coreguard KO2)
Krawl-Tek compound (soft and grippy)
Looks better (subjective, I know)

Neutral:
Smoothness

Cons:
Louder ride (not significant, but noticeable)
Heavier (9.85 lbs per tire)
1 MPG worse (assumed)
Slightly worse acceleration and braking performance (have to be paying attention to notice)
Lower speed rating (99 mph vs 112 mph)

I went 35’s over 315’s because I prefer a hair bit more height over width, but mostly, it sounds better to say 35’s over 315’s. See above photos for 35x12.5 vs 315/70 KO2 (35 left, 315 right).

Overall, gains in one area, gives up to losses in another. Ultimately, you have to decide your priorities.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and pictures!

Very helpful.

I would do the 35's for the height reason also. Slightly skinnier tire may also help with snow traction and rolling resistance.

amg55driver

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and pictures!

Very helpful.

I would do the 35's for the height reason also. Slightly skinnier tire may also help with snow traction and rolling resistance.

Hey Darin, I know its on the other thread, but any update on the sputtering issue?
im taking my 18 in for service tomorrow, want to see if there is any fix.
I told dealer about updating PCM and TCM they told me they can do that.. AT MY COST?? LOL

Please let me know!

Last edited:

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swap out my 4.2 inch screen for a 8 inch navigation. The whole process was easy and no programming was necessary. For the money probably the best mod that I've done so far.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the opposite swap on my Wrangler, it came with KMs and I swapped to KOs as soon as I could.

Most of what was posted about the differences (noise mileage weight etc.) I agree with but the braking was very noticeable to me, the mud profile just has a LOT less surface contact to grip with. The mud tires also grabbed imperfections in the road and caused more lane-wandering, but that could have been made worse by the solid front axle, I can see the heavier IFS Raptor eating that up better than the jeep. Those large gaps make The KMs a better choice for driving in the mud and deep sand, but were worse for anything you can think of while on pavement and even in rocky offroad conditions the KO2 is superior to the KM3.

In My Opinion (disclaimer)...
Unless you wheel in mud frequently or just like the knobby look...there's really no argument that they are a better choice.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the opposite swap on my Wrangler, it came with KMs and I swapped to KOs as soon as I could.

Most of what was posted about the differences (noise mileage weight etc.) I agree with but the braking was very noticeable to me, the mud profile just has a LOT less surface contact to grip with. The mud tires also grabbed imperfections in the road and caused more lane-wandering, but that could have been made worse by the solid front axle, I can see the heavier IFS Raptor eating that up better than the jeep. Those large gaps make The KMs a better choice for driving in the mud and deep sand, but were worse for anything you can think of while on pavement and even in rocky offroad conditions the KO2 is superior to the KM3.

In My Opinion (disclaimer)...
Unless you wheel in mud frequently or just like the knobby look...there's really no argument that they are a better choice.

Original KM’s (that used to come stock on the previous rubicon) are a lot different than KM3’s, and yes, a Jeep drives quite a bit different than a Raptor. KO2’s are, without a doubt, the better choice for most, they're the best in the widest of conditions (hence all terrains). However, KM3’s will perform better in nearly all off-road conditions, but that benefit in off-road capability doesn’t come free, on road performance suffers in comparison. Also, I’m not sure how KM3’s would be worse than the KO2’s in rocky off road conditions. If the KO2’s where better in everything, other than mud and deep sand, then I’d think the trophy trucks of Baja would be running them and not KR2’s or KR3’s (KM3’s have more in common with those tires, including tread design, than the KO2’s).

Again, it’s always personal preference and what you want to gain and are willing to give up. There is no bad tire here, just wrong application.

Last edited:

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I’m not sure how KM3’s would be worse than the KO2’s in rocky off road conditions.
Rock crawling up/down/along large rounded boulders it is all about grip, the longer lugs yield (bend) more and with big gaps between the lugs there's just less surface contact area. I think in LOOSE rock (small and medium sized rocks like gravel) the KMs would be a better choice. Really the only thing they do better is channel loose surfaces out of the way so the tires can dig and gain traction, they also are harder to get clogged with mud which can render that AT tread to be a tractionless wet slick.

Then again my KMs were the "2" and the Raptor is a sucky rock crawler, even my short wheelbase SCAB has a long breakover.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock crawling up/down/along large rounded boulders it is all about grip, the longer lugs yield (bend) more and with big gaps between the lugs there's just less surface contact area. I think in LOOSE rock (small and medium sized rocks like gravel) the KMs would be a better choice. Really the only thing they do better is channel loose surfaces out of the way so the tires can dig and gain traction, they also are harder to get clogged with mud which can render that AT tread to be a tractionless wet slick.

Then again my KMs were the "2" and the Raptor is a sucky rock crawler, even my short wheelbase SCAB has a long breakover.

It’d be interesting if both a KO2 and KM3 were aired down to equal pressures on a rubicon wrangler and have them do some rock crawling back to back. I think it’d be closer than you’d think and possibly even in the KM3’s favor. Rubber compound also makes a big difference and the KM3 has the newest Krawl-Tek compound. It also has stronger sidewalls and mud isn’t known to puncture tires, so I wonder why they’d increase sidewall strength if they were gonna be used for aired down crawling situations. I’ve also run KM2’s on other F-150’s and they are quite a bit different compared to the KM3’s.

KO2’s are great tires. I’ve used them for years on multiple trucks and they never let me down. That said, KM3’s offer a change of pace, and for me, better grip in the conditions I find myself off-roading in and I’m willing to sacrifice some on road performance. YMMV