What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been changing out the power steering fluid over the past few days. Basically every day before work I'll grab my handy turkey baster and remove some fluid before replacing it with new mercon LV. I've noticed that it went from smelling burnt to sweet. Its not terribly efficient but it works.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the starter. Bit of a challenge, but after took off the fender flare/liner, it helped greatly to see and get at the top and middle bolts, definitely recommend removing, especially if have headers. Bought Reman from FordPartsGiant.com $82.

IMG_0018.JPG
Picture below is new starter next to old starter, figured after 8 years, time to replace, started to get that pause/delay, then start thingy happening. Previously replaced the starter and ignition relays.

IMG_0055.JPG
Old starter before removal in picture below, soaked the bolts, both ends, with Kano Penetrating Oil using bottle with needle applicator, worked like a champ, they broke free pretty easily. The silver tape is heat reflective tape on solenoid since right next to header pipe.

IMG_0015.JPG

Picture below of new starter installed with heat reflective tape on solenoid, cleaned up the battery cable ends and coated in dielectric grease to reduce corrosion. I used very small / short 1/4 drive ratchet with 13mm socket to get at top bolt, and very small / short 1/4 drive flex head ratchet with 1" extension and 13mm socket for middle bolt, the bottom bolt is 15mm.

IMG_0057.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Pulled the dash apart to replace the temperature blend door actuator. Passenger side was on full heat, the wife was not a fan...........

All I wish for is for both of them to go out while mine is still under the ESP warranty.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the starter. Bit of a challenge, but after took off the fender flare/liner, it helped greatly to see and get at the top and middle bolts, definitely recommend removing, especially if have headers. Bought Reman from FordPartsGiant.com $82.

View attachment 137822
Picture below is new starter next to old starter, figured after 8 years, time to replace, started to get that pause/delay, then start thingy happening. Previously replaced the starter and ignition relays.

View attachment 137823
Old starter before removal in picture below, soaked the bolts, both ends, with Kano Penetrating Oil using bottle with needle applicator, worked like a champ, they broke free pretty easily. The silver tape is heat reflective tape on solenoid since right next to header pipe.

View attachment 137824

Picture below of new starter installed with heat reflective tape on solenoid, cleaned up the battery cable ends and coated in dielectric grease to reduce corrosion. I used very small / short 1/4 drive ratchet with 13mm socket to get at top bolt, and very small / short 1/4 drive flex head ratchet with 2" extension and 13mm socket for middle bolt, the bottom bolt is 15mm.

View attachment 137825

I am getting that pause before the starter cranks periodically, So it is probably the starter and not the ignition relays?

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the cost include shipping the core back or is that up to you? Might be cheaper to eat the $25.00 core charge vs shipping it back.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 137822

View attachment 137823

View attachment 137824

Picture below of new starter installed with heat reflective tape on solenoid, cleaned up the battery cable ends and coated in dielectric grease to reduce corrosion. I used very small / short 1/4 drive ratchet with 13mm socket to get at top bolt, and very small / short 1/4 drive flex head ratchet with 2" extension and 13mm socket for middle bolt, the bottom bolt is 15mm.

View attachment 137825

The headers really cooked that starter,
I hope you can find some Stainless steel, aluminum or galvanized sheet metal and add that with a hose clamp that will completely cover the whole starter to the heat wrap.
I would wrap the headers right where the starter is also.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All I wish for is for both of them to go out while mine is still under the ESP warranty.

Believe it or not, this dash was the easiest I have taken apart. Having said that I only replaced the temperature control one behind the radio. I think there are 4 total and that two might be able to be changed without removing the dash at all. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The upper drivers side one is supposedly the worst as the whole dash has to come out.