What’s the big deal with tire shine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew72

Reaction score
Here’s one way to look at it. You spend $2000 on your tires. They are your number one safety feature on your truck and most important point of contact and control. One, who taught you to wash your wheels last lol. It’s good to use a good spray on tire cleaner and scrub your tires to remove a lot of chemicals and ******** that will be stuck on your tires from regular use. Also it’s a good time to be inspecting your tires for any damage or safety issues. Definitely having your tires lathered in a unnecessary amount of crap tire shine is silly on a off-road vehicle. My truck stays outside so I personally after a good cleaning like to use a little amount of gel to add some protection to your tires and also help against the sun and salt air where I live.

Use a gel and a foam applicator, not spray shine, and you’ll have a properly taken care of tire that looks good and has refreshed rubber, won’t splatter when done correctly.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think all has been said about tire shine at this point. But if you spend most of the time in the dirt, why bother with it. If your truck spends most of the time on road then why not polish it up a little more. I personally like a tire to look as dark black as possible. Shine helps. But I try not to kill it as almost to the point it won’t hold street traction lol

Brake dust and dirt make tires a muddy brown color and it takes a lot of scrubbing to bring them back nice and black. Maybe I’m into a simple scrub so some tire treatment helps darken them back up. Again not dripping wet and thick.

I can respect a guy who does or doesn’t do it. I like some shine and dark color to them. But I can’t respect a guy who drives a Raptor and is afraid to get his tires dirty in some dirt. I used to be and still that guy with many vehicles and keeping them clean. But this beast was made for the dirt!

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the tire **** but the pledge is what I use if anything. It really Just makes the tires look new and smell lemon fresh.

I *fixed* it for you... but honestly, I have never heard of using Pledge, I may have to try that, and I like the smell of lemons too....

Remoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe its the "Trucks are supposed to be dirty" theory. I think our trucks look great all shined up......

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad analogy, said slightly differently:

The truck is like your BDUs, and the tires are like your combat boots.
Sure, you can press BDUs but for the love of GOD man, no starch and no hard seams. Wrinkle free = good, dry cleaned, pressed and starched just sticks out.

A good set of combat boots only needs cleaning - ok, maybe a little polish but you don’t wear leather luster coated paratroopers into a combat theater or anywhere that political disagreements with automatic rifles might break out.

I will concede, a clean Raptor with tarted up tires is aesthetically pleasing, just not for me.
#ThatGuy
Smurfslayer concedes!? What’s going on here. Somebody take over your account?!

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad analogy, said slightly differently:

The truck is like your BDUs, and the tires are like your combat boots.
Sure, you can press BDUs but for the love of GOD man, no starch and no hard seams. Wrinkle free = good, dry cleaned, pressed and starched just sticks out.

A good set of combat boots only needs cleaning - ok, maybe a little polish but you don’t wear leather luster coated paratroopers into a combat theater or anywhere that political disagreements with automatic rifles might break out.

I will concede, a clean Raptor with tarted up tires is aesthetically pleasing, just not for me.
#ThatGuy
Smurfslayer concedes!? What’s going on here. Somebody take over your account?!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trucks used to be known for no creature comforts either. Generally slow, horrible ride feel, old standard cab and no room.

I feel the truck while not the cheapest thing to buy or run, is probably the most versatile vehicle out there today.

Not afraid to get dirty, but don’t be ashamed to make it shine!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s one way to look at it. You spend $2000 on your tires. They are your number one safety feature on your truck and most important point of contact and control. Also it’s a good time to be inspecting your tires for any damage or safety issues. My truck stays outside so I personally after a good cleaning like to use a little amount of gel to add some protection to your tires and also help against the sun and salt air where I live.

So I assume this tire care regimen is also performed on the inside tire sidewall as well? Seems kinda dangerous to only do all that on the outside sidewall for safety reasons, then just flat out ignore the inside sidewall.

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those saying it goes all over the vehicle are probably spraying it on and driving around. The correct way to apply it is to spray it on let it sit for a few minutes then wipe with a lint-free rag (I use a Costco Microfiber) this leaves them looking new but not plasticy like your favorite strippers patten leather top. Also living in Vegas and even here in Boise if I don't put some type of protectant on them the sidewalls turn brown from the sun and look like shit. It helps keep them from drying out.

Just my $0.02

Last edited: