What’s the big deal with tire shine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
To me, a wash and waxed vehicle is like wearing a suit. It's all cleaned up, doesn't matter what type of vehicle i. No shine on the tires is like wearing scuffed up shoes with your suit. Scuffed up is probably too harsh, as tires without shine don't look like crap, just like you have haven't bothered to polish your shoes in a while. If you aren't washing your truck often, only waxing etc to protect the paint, then sure...it's dress shoes with a bathing suit.

But I get it, do what you want.

Not a bad analogy, said slightly differently:

The truck is like your BDUs, and the tires are like your combat boots.
Sure, you can press BDUs but for the love of GOD man, no starch and no hard seams. Wrinkle free = good, dry cleaned, pressed and starched just sticks out.

A good set of combat boots only needs cleaning - ok, maybe a little polish but you don’t wear leather luster coated paratroopers into a combat theater or anywhere that political disagreements with automatic rifles might break out.

I will concede, a clean Raptor with tarted up tires is aesthetically pleasing, just not for me.
#ThatGuy

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with "tire shine" is it ends up splattered all over the paint. So I don't use it.

MGA

Reaction score
Bottom line, not one of our Raptors is what I would call a Politically Correct vehicle in today's world so we are all going our own way! With that said, do what you like, some of the mods, decals, or whatever look great and some look great on your truck but not mine! I like the look of the good quality tire shine when I wash it but as mine is a garage toy it has plenty of time to dry but I fully appreciate those that don't care for it.

Dhowell

Reaction score
ok... I’ll be #Thatguy

After the time it takes me to wash and wax Lucille, I am starting my 2nd pint and am looking at the tires and thinking to myself .... Yup, they’re round, they’re black. Looking good! They’re lucky they get washed with soap. Or anything other than rain for that matter. I’ll inspect them, check and adjust air pressure frequently - I’m a biker, tire pressure is kind of important, have my own compressor, hose, chucks, etc.

I also think shined tires on a Raptor is like wearing dress shoes and dress socks with your bathing suit to the beach. I think it screams “DORK” ( for context, think Pulp Fiction when Jules and Vincent get the hose at Jimmy’s ).

Some things, I just can’t bring myself to do. Among them

hard mount a cell phone to a motorcycle
dress or shine tires.
clean exhaust tips.
wear dress shoes and socks with shorts ... beach or no beach
drink scotch when bourbon is available... unless I’ve just slipped on out the back door after stiffing the land lady for the front rent and the back rent, in which case one of each + 1 beer is appropriate.

YMMV and all that.

Smurfslayer, if I could, I'd give you 10 Likes just for the One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer reference alone. Good stuff man!

WooPig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the people who hate the good ol tire shine but want make their tires look like new, use furniture polish. (Pleadge..etc)
This is what I use. I scub down the tires clean the spray and wipe.
I creates a satin, dulled, clean new tire look to it. I will repel dust as well.
I use it on my interior as well. All the plastics in the truck.

I don’t like the tire **** but the pledge is what I use if anything. It really Just makes the tires look new.

hj_s14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... dealer deliver my Raptor all detailed and cleaned and tires shines. Guess what, when I drive it that stuffs splash all over the side of the truck. I wouldn't put it on my other lifted truck either.

But I admit, the tires shines make the truck looks really good :)