What’s the big deal with tire shine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
Your truck, you choose how you want it to look! I don't use it because that shit is an absolute dirt magnet. I frequent the Nevada desert often so I avoid using it always. I've used it on past 4x4s but it won't work for me in how I use my Raptor.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never used "tire shine" on any of my vehicles....slick shinny tires don't make them look new, just stupid shinny....

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there are all different tire shine products. After I spend 3 to 4 hours detailing my truck, I always put tire shine on it. I think it makes it look great. If I were fortunate enough to live where I could go off road, I'd also probably avoid it as it would attract dust potentially.

I use different products. Some really make a glossy shine, some a satin finish. I scrub the sidewalls while also cleaning the wheels to prep the rubber to accept the shine. There are many varieties that do not sling. And I also don't drive right after putting it on so it has time to dry.

CarPro Perl is the perfect compromise. It's not too shiny, and yet it looks great.

I use it on the plastic trim around the toneau cover. Does an excellent job on it.

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only get to off-road 3 or 4 times a year. The majority of my driving is on pavement to and from work. I like the look of tire shine and a spotless Raptor on my daily driver. With an black Raptor, it completes the look. How can you not like the look of this truck below with dressed tires!Raptor with New Wheels.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dacam

Reaction score
I only get to off-road 3 or 4 times a year. The majority of my driving is on pavement to and from work. I like the look of tire shine and a spotless Raptor on my daily driver. With an black Raptor, it completes the look. How can you not like the look of this truck below with dressed tires!View attachment 130538

I jus love that blacked out look!!!
Looks so mean and aggressive!!

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also think shined tires on a Raptor is like wearing dress shoes and dress socks with your bathing suit to the beach. I think it screams “DORK” ( for context, think Pulp Fiction when Jules and Vincent get the hose at Jimmy’s ).

Some things, I just can’t bring myself to do. Among them

hard mount a cell phone to a motorcycle
dress or shine tires.
clean exhaust tips.
wear dress shoes and socks with shorts ... beach or no beach

It sounds as if you are disrespecting my sense of fashion!!!!! :shakehead::mad3:

dork.jpg

Last edited:

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok... I’ll be #Thatguy

After the time it takes me to wash and wax Lucille, I am starting my 2nd pint and am looking at the tires and thinking to myself .... Yup, they’re round, they’re black. Looking good! They’re lucky they get washed with soap. Or anything other than rain for that matter. I’ll inspect them, check and adjust air pressure frequently - I’m a biker, tire pressure is kind of important, have my own compressor, hose, chucks, etc.

I also think shined tires on a Raptor is like wearing dress shoes and dress socks with your bathing suit to the beach. I think it screams “DORK” ( for context, think Pulp Fiction when Jules and Vincent get the hose at Jimmy’s ).

Some things, I just can’t bring myself to do. Among them

hard mount a cell phone to a motorcycle
dress or shine tires.
clean exhaust tips.
wear dress shoes and socks with shorts ... beach or no beach
drink scotch when bourbon is available... unless I’ve just slipped on out the back door after stiffing the land lady for the front rent and the back rent, in which case one of each + 1 beer is appropriate.

YMMV and all that.
Well said my friend. Ditto!

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I used to hate it. Made the tires look like plastic and slung shit all over the paint. Then I tried Adam's tire shine. It made the tires a deep dark satin black. Just looks like very clean new tires. No issues with shit slinging off on to the paint. Lasts about a month with regular washings.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only get to off-road 3 or 4 times a year. The majority of my driving is on pavement to and from work. I like the look of tire shine and a spotless Raptor on my daily driver. With an black Raptor, it completes the look. How can you not like the look of this truck below with dressed tires!

Based on your avatar, are you in Webster? And yes, I agree that it looks good.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

To me, a wash and waxed vehicle is like wearing a suit. It's all cleaned up, doesn't matter what type of vehicle i. No shine on the tires is like wearing scuffed up shoes with your suit. Scuffed up is probably too harsh, as tires without shine don't look like crap, just like you have haven't bothered to polish your shoes in a while. If you aren't washing your truck often, only waxing etc to protect the paint, then sure...it's dress shoes with a bathing suit.

But I get it, do what you want.