GEN 2 Wet Spot on Drivers Side Mat After Heavy Rains???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruce7105

Reaction score
I had the same thing on my 17 took to the dealer and it was a plugged drain line from the sunroof, they blew out the line and hasn't happened again.

JeremyG

Reaction score
Had the same issue after a big rain, as the last poster stated there is a grommet under the driver side floorboard that the car stereo guys used to run cables for my amp and did not silicon. That seemed to have fixed it. A test you can do for the drain tube is park your truck so that your driver side front corner of your sunroof is lower than all the other corners, open your sunroof and pour water down the inside channel of your sun roof while someone watches the driver side firewall foot space with the carpet pulled back for leaks. If you have all the water drain to the ground then you probably have a functioning drain tube.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also noticed that after a rain there will be considerable moisture in side my ‘18. Not so much full puddles and there heavy condensation on the interior glass surfaces.
condensation usually means quite a bit of water. i had my rear window shatter back in 2014 and had it replace by safelight. they did not seal the window properly but with no rain in norther california at the time i didnt notice it. 2 years later when i moved to colorado the rains set in and i had condensation inside my windows. i thought it was the humidity due to the heat of summer and the afternoon rain storms. finally one of my amplifiers took a crap so i went back therr to find a lot of water damage. it came in from the upper corner of the window. in the end, safelight paid the $7k bill for new carpet, new amplifier and new headliner. water on the floor usually wont give you much condensation unless theres a lot of it there. i would double check your interior

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue after a big rain, as the last poster stated there is a grommet under the driver side floorboard that the car stereo guys used to run cables for my amp and did not silicon. That seemed to have fixed it. A test you can do for the drain tube is park your truck so that your driver side front corner of your sunroof is lower than all the other corners, open your sunroof and pour water down the inside channel of your sun roof while someone watches the driver side firewall foot space with the carpet pulled back for leaks. If you have all the water drain to the ground then you probably have a functioning drain tube.
a lot of the cheaper labor shops will just push the gromet through and pass the wires through the opening. there have also been several instances when i have had trucks come in after a vhf radio install and have had to address the water/gromet issue. its not so much of get what you pay for because i know a few "highly recommended" shops that will do the same thing. its more about having the shop with the most experience and the staff that cares about cars and will not overlook these details. if you have any install questions related, dont hesitate to ask

OP
OP
Tactical Sommelier

Tactical Sommelier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to pull the plastic trim under the floormat and check to see if the carpet is wet. a small amount there doesnt mean it hasnt gone elsewhere. if the carpet is wet mold and mildew will set in and the truck will always stink. i have had 2 scenarios of this problem. first one is a manufacturer error. the moonroof leaks and water gets inside. i had one of my guys spray the truck with a hose while i sat inside and pulled the headliner down around the moonroof and waited until i saw water. thats a dealer fix. take it back to them and have them repair it along with any subsequent water damage. the second one is that when some shops install equipment, instead of going through a rubber gromet, they push the gromet through and leave it loose. this will usually be on the drivers side since its easiest to access there. so if you have had any aftermarket work done, thats the place to check. make sure the gromet is sealed up properly.
I checked the gromet, its where it should be so it's not that.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked the gromet, its where it should be so it's not that.
the headliner is held on with magnets around the moonroof area. go inside and have someone spray the truck down with a hose and see if you can see water coming in. the two instances where i have seen it, the water was coming through at the point where the 2 glass panels meet. might be worth focusing on that point first

OP
OP
Tactical Sommelier

Tactical Sommelier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it to the dealership and they said they found a hole in one of the seals on the A pillar. Should be good to go now, guess we will see.
Added pics I took right after the storm. you can clearly see some water and some rust as well.
Leak 2.jpg Leak 2.jpg

Leak.jpg