Wet Carpet and Tech Bulletin 19-2345 Condensate Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I happened to remove the front passenger floor mat on my Nov-2018 build 2019 truck and the carpet was soaking wet. The rubber mat was dry as was the rest of the carpet in the truck. The last time I had the mats out was ~2 months ago and everything was dry at that time. I called the Dealership to get an appointment for Tech Bulletin 19-2345 (trucks built after 31-Aug-2018). https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168762-0001.pdf

Hopefully that's the fix. I sopped the carpet with towels and have 2 tubs of Damp-rid in the truck to dry it out. More to come.

OP
OP
J

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update, after watching multiple vids on the Tech Bulletin and not being able to get into the dealer for 2 weeks I purchased the Ford part on EBay for $8.02 delivered. I pulled the passenger carpet back to the seat then put a long funnel under the carpet not lifted up to lift and promote airflow, pointed a small battery powered fan at the funnels opening to cycle air under the area, put my large garage dehumidifier in the back area and ran it for 12 hours each for 3 days. I pulled 3+ gallons of water out in that time. When I shut it down last night humidity was reading 23%. Today I installed the elbow. The Bulletin states to remove the entire inner fender liner but IMO there is absolutely no reason to do so. I crawled under the truck and could see and reach the nipple easily. The clip came off in 20 seconds. What the bulletin does not mention is that there are 2 ribs under the nipple and I was afraid they would prevent a good seal so I shaved them off with an exacto knife. I put just a little silicon on the bottom of the nipple where I shaved the ribs off and pushed the elbow on tight. After cleaning the surrounding area with alcohol I installed the metal duct tape as directed. Done. Start to finish was 20 minutes which included wiggling my a$$ out from under the truck 3 times to get something. Properly prepared I could do again in 10 minutes, even less if I had put the truck on one of my lifts, but I didn’t want to move the other cars around. Taking a good look at the interior floor board I could absolutely see evidence and slight staining where water had been flowing back into the truck. With the carpet completely dry there was no residual smell, but I misted a little Free Breeze in the area anyway. Tomorrow I’ll drive for an hour to insure it’s fixed, then pop the carpet back in place. Suggestion: lift your passenger rubber mat and check for moisture. I happened to take the mat out last week when installing a dash cam, otherwise I would not have known and that water could have set there for months. I know the dealer would not have run a large dehumidifier for 36 hours, would not have shaved the ribs, or installed a touch of silicon in that area so hopefully this was a more effective fix than the dealership, and I know it’s done right. Good luck...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly.....

Oh, forgot, there was one plastic push pin holding part of the fender liner closest to the drain that I popped out so I could move the liner out of the way a little, but again no reason to remove that entire liner, the drain is accessible with the liner in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fix confirmed, 97 degrees here today with 75% humidity. Drove for an hour then parked letting it idle for an additional 5 minutes. Lots of water on the ground from the drain and interior was bone dry. Carpet tucked back in and good as (actually better than) new. Thanks

Rap19

Reaction score
Checked my front passenger floor under the floor mat and it was damp
Ordered the small elbow (Ford oem part) from ebay for 5 dollars.
Jacked up the front passenger side on the frame rail behind the front wheel. Kept the front tire on, just turned to the left.
You can easily see and get to the drain to do the the TSB on your own without removing any plastic lining.Used a small worm clamp to secure and some aluminum tape for heat protection. !0 minute job. Check your floor for water

Last edited:

blademan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOU guys are great hope i dont have to get my fat *** under the truck, but atleast some of the homework is done. THanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Start to finish was 20 minutes which included wiggling my a$$ out from under the truck 3 times to get something. Properly prepared I could do again in 10 minutes, even less if I had put the truck on one of my lifts, but I didn’t want to move the other cars around.

This makes you 2x as efficient at auto repairs than me. Someday, maybe I’ll get close to that and be able to reduce the under truck extrications to 4, but that’s a lofty goal.

good work.