Well this is a new one... can't pass emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, in Pa it's every year depending on where you live. Thankfully I haven't driven more than 5,000 miles a year, so I am emission exempt.

Reaction score
Some states like MA include the annual Safety inspection and plug into the car to verify the smog sensors are all working properly. I guess I’ll take mine to the dealer when I need my inspection next year.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if no codes then sometimes 1) if battery was disconnected will cause that or 2) if you just haven't driven much in the days preceding your smog inspection can cause that. To fix either is to literally just go drive about 50 miles and then try smog test again.

smwalker

Reaction score
Just wanted to include this info for any folks that run into it. Seems Ford starting in 2021 did some funky stuff with their ECU's on many models. They made the state of CA's problem child OBD reference list. Seems an ECU update is in the works for everyone, hopefully they are doing them whenever they get a chance to see the cars and not waiting for people to fail emissions tests:

reddit.png

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021+ F-150 uses a new network architecture; the OBD2 port no longer provides direct access to the networks. All communication between the scan tool and vehicle modules is through the Gateway Module, which is located inside the instrument panel. These changes are occurring industry wide, as OEMs increase vehicle security to prevent hacking and modifications.

The inspection stations may need to upgrade their equipment to be able to communicate with the new models.
This guy, @FordTechOne, is so smart.

I wish he worked at my dealership.

I must say, as liberal a state as Michigan is, we don’t have to get our vehicles inspected.

SDR581

Reaction score
Glad i live in FL.. we do not do any of this inspections!
Yeah. No safety inspections either. I've some scary things on the road down there. Pickup trucks with 3 of 6 lug nuts missing on the front wheel, while also pulling a trailer, cars without hoods/trunks, donut spares going passing me going 65+ mph. The list goes on an on. No wonder vehichel insurance so so exp compared to PA.

Not dissing FL...I have a house there. Just an observation when a state does not have any vehicle inspection laws.